Thread: Build Log Sig 1/6 Scale Citabria Build
View Single Post
Old Jun 15, 2009, 11:25 PM
Find More Posts by EJWash1
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,670 Posts
I think I have the aileron servo situation handled.

I cut out a servo tray mount (3/32” ply) that is firmly attached to the wing mid-section. Dang subliminal thought! I was listening to music on my iPod while laying out and cutting the tray mount, and, well, I guess the rest speaks for itself...

A detachable servo tray was fabricated (3/32” ply). Basswood servo rails with rabbet cuts overlapping the sides to get maximum glueing surface area.

Lighting holes were cut into both of these pieces. The tray mount weighed-in at 12 grams before the holes, and 6 grams after. The servo tray weighed-in at 12 grams as well, and 6 grams after. The plan calls for a 3/32” servo mount, so I’m guessing things weight-wise is pretty much a wash here.

Instead of the ‘Z’ bend, I opted for a U-shaped linkage from the aileron pushrod to the servo. I used heat-shrink tubing to secure the pushrod ends to the servo linkage and tested the throw with a servo tester. Not a solid bind with the tubing, but things looked pretty good.

After the top and bottom sheeting is glued-in, the aileron servo area of the sheeting is cut away. When this is done, I’ll bind the two ends of the aileron pushrods together with the U-shaped linkage to the aileron servo and solder everything together.

I am using :30 minute epoxy on this build instead of faster setting time epoxy because I prefer the longer set time in the Southwest USA summertime.

Thanks for following along!

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Last edited by EJWash1; Jun 15, 2009 at 11:33 PM.