Thread: Build Log 1/4 Schreder HP-18
View Single Post
Old Jun 05, 2009, 05:45 PM
Find More Posts by bobthenuke
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,861 Posts
Retract Install

I'm trying to do a little each day or whenever with the hope that this model will be completed in a reasonable time. The major components have been supplied by Tony and the one installation that I have to perform without screwing up is the retract install.

I'm using the original aircraft construction details for some of this model although It's really not neccessary. I'm a bit anal (I heard that snickering - cut it out!) regarding details and since I have the info available why not?

I printed out a worksheet of the area I'm dealing with and drew a few lines, made a few measurements to determine the scale so to transfer relative dimensions to the model fuse. No surprise, the front of the wheel is just a touch aft of the wing LE.

The full size used a 5.00-5 tire which equates very closely to a 3.5" diameter tire for the model. The I-care 1/4 scale retract unit I had in a box just happens to have a 3.5" diameter tire, although the wheel itself is small and a bit funky. Maybe someday I'll find a better, more scale looking wheel, but this will do for now.

After some careful measurements based on the mold lines of the fuse I came up with some centerline marks for the fuse side and streched a piece of tape down it in order to have a reference point. Following that I dropped another piece of tape at a right angle just ahead of the LE and thus determined the point that the most forward point of the tire will be. This was, IMO, the hardest thing I'll have to do to fabricate this model.
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke
Last edited by bobthenuke; Aug 31, 2009 at 09:33 AM.