View Single Post
Old May 30, 2009, 12:17 AM
Find More Posts by EJWash1
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,670 Posts
Moved along a little more today.

Positioned and glued the leading edge stock to the wings (Iím posting pics of the left wing panel, but brought the right wing panel up to the same completion). This joinery is all about clamping pressure. Note that I used a length of aluminum angle to both bring the front of the ribs even with the leading edge stock and to also provide even clamping pressure along the leading edge stock.

I also glued the top spare and aileron spar into position.

I feature the Miter Sander from Fourmost Products that I purchased through Bruce Tharp Engineering (http://www.btemodels.com/fourmost.html). I also have their Mitre Saw. I like the sander because it gives a reference to hold the work (wood) straight and square as it is sander. No rounding over that you get when sanding ďfree-handĒ.

The Mitre Sander came into play in shaping the wingtip pieces. The outer most wing rib is smaller than the rest. Itís set at an angle downward than the rest of the ribs, providing a little bit of wash-out to aid in preventing tip-stall. As a result, the top and bottom spars as well as the leading and trailing edges have to be fitted away from the constant line of the rest of the wing. As you can see, the Mitre Sander provides a tight joint.

If I may pass along another tip, cut long and sand down flush.

Hopefully, Iíll get to the ailerons and wing mid-section this weekend.

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Last edited by EJWash1; May 30, 2009 at 12:30 AM.