Find More Posts by Irv
Irv
AKA the"Old Flyer" KI6SPO
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Aug 2004
104 Posts
Discussion
The AttoPilot project

In early March I got involved in a "proof-of-concept" project that was to use an RC airframe and an autopilot system.
Goal of the first phase:

1) Demonstrate the ability of an RC airframe under autopilot control to perform tasks such as fly a specified path at a set altitude and airspeed, and initiate an event at a designated point along the flight path.
2) Learn as much as possible about the "care and feeding" and the potential uses of the AUV system.
3) Do all of this at as low an initial cost as possible.

After reviewing some material obtained by typing "UAV" on Google, I spent most of the effort in "RC Groups". I read almost all of "Beta Details - dmgoedde", "ArduPilot 2.0 software released --", "Picopilot", etc. I looked at many of the websites listed in "Sticky: UAV Links" and came to the conclusion that there are 3 main groups of autopilot systems suitable for use in RC airframes.

1) The low cost - labor intensive "open system" types.
2) The very expensive "commercial" types
3) The "under $1000 ARF" type.
I chose from door # 3 - the AttoPilot 8.1 by Dean Goedde.

Limited funds meant we had to use available airframes, computer, and RC systems. I have an Easy Glider that I used for FPV, a Futaba 9C RC system on 72Mhz, a video system with both 900Mhz and 2.4Ghz transmitter/receiver systems. Another team member donated the use of an HP laptop.
Irv is offline Find More Posts by Irv