Old May 13, 2009, 10:19 AM
GOK
Find More Posts by GOK
GOK
Turkey, Izmir
Joined Aug 2005
1,302 Posts
Discussion
Phoenix Model 40 size P-51 Mustang (VIDEO ADDED)

After the success of my 1/5 Cub conversion, I am now jumping into another project. Although I still fly my park flyers quite often, I just loved the way these larger planes look, fly and handle wind.

Anyways, this time, on the bench, I have a Phoenix Model P-51. The plane was on sale and I picked it up for approx. $180 (Unfortunately, this is what we modelers in Turkey call “relatively cheap” since usually the prices are ridiculous due to taxes and other stuff). Here are the specs on this one:

Wingspan: 1420mm (56”)
Length: 1230mm (48.5”)
Weight: 2600g – 2800g (5.7lb – 6.2lb)
The recommended glow engine is 40 - 46 size.
She comes with retracts (will be my first model with retractable landing gear).

I believe (might be wrong here) Phoenix Models is more or less the same thing as Seagull Models. They are both brands manufactured in Vietnam, and seem to be relatively widely flown in Europe, although very few of their models make it to US. My first impressions are that the model looks well built. All joints and glue spots are well put together, no broken pieces, covering is real nice and no wrinkles as of yet (it says it is original oracover?). I am not sure about the quality of the included retractable gear as I’ve never before seen another set to compare to. Among other details, the pilot looks a bit funny, the tail wheel is non-scale, main wheels are none-scale, ailerons are none-scale, and the model does not have flaps. But in general, the model looks scale enough for my standards. I’ll be happy if she flies as good as she looks.

Below are a few pics.
GOK is offline Find More Posts by GOK
Last edited by GOK; Jun 13, 2010 at 02:41 AM.