View Single Post
Old Mar 23, 2009, 09:52 AM
Find More Posts by jackerbes
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
18,083 Posts
Tuffy - The Landing Gear Build, Part Two of Two Parts

16 - Measure 2" up from the bottom of the "U" on both sided and make a mark. The 2" distance is the distance that the landing gear will extend up along the collar on the fuselage sides.

18 - Clamp the wire in the vise even with the red mark and make a 90 degree bend to the outside of the "U". Keep the bend on a flat plane with the previous bends. The bend is just getting started as seen here.

19 - End the bend when the tool hits the vise jaw. Hit it with the soft hammer to to make it a square bend.

20 - This is the bend after being hit with the hammer.

21 - Bend the other side of the "U" outward at the 2" mark and square it. It should give you a square "U" as seen here.

22 - Two small pieces of metal are needed to make the doubled back bends. I'm using two pieces of 1/4" flat bar here. The wire is clamped between the bars, even with the top of the vise jaws, and up against the of the flat bar.

23 - The bar is bent down to form the doubled back bend. Bend it until the up and back runs are near to parallel. No hammer blows are needed here.

24 - Repeat for the other side of the landing gear.

25 - I remove the masking tape now and you should have the wire seen here. Some judicious bending, with or without clamping it down, may be needed to get the wire laying flat on top of the bench.

26 - Close and narrow the double back bends by crushing them shut a little bit in the vise jaws. Just crush them a little and relaw the jaws, stop when the two wires are parallel.

27 - The collar, shoe, and wire are test fitted on the fuselage. The two doubled back bends should just touch or apply light pressure on the collar on both sides. A rubber band going from the dowel, across the doubled back bend, and return to the dowel, is what will hold the gear in place. The size number of rubber bands and number of wraps taken can be varied to control the amount of restraining force on the landing gear.

28 - The axle bends are made 1-1/2" below the bottom of the fuselage. That is where the steel rule is seen laying across the wire. The plans also show the wheels as being about 10" apart but they are only 6" apart as seen here.

29 - I changed the splay or angle of the outward bends up near the double back bends so spread the two legs a little wider apart. I settled on about 8" of splay on a TLAR basis. Then I laid the rule across them, 1-1/2" below the fuselage and parallel with the bottom of the "U" bend, and marked the points where the wheel axles would be bent.

30 - The wheel axle bends were made at the marks. The were bent a little at a time until they formed a straight line when laid across the rule. The finished axle is seen with the wheels temporarily mounted.

31- And the finished landing gear mounted on the Tuffy. I still have to add some wheel retaining collars. Also the wheels are a loose fit (they have 5/32" holes, the axle it 5/64" DIA.) so I'll add some bushings to take up the play.

I used a pair of 2" foam tired wheels I found at the LHS (King's Mountain RC in Orrington, ME, tell Warren Jack sent you). The wheels were in the clearance bin and are not marked with a brand. They weigh 6 grams each and the completed landing gear assembly (with collar and shoe) weighs 37 grams.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes