Thread: FAQ Regulatory FAQ
View Single Post
Old Mar 20, 2009, 08:02 PM
Find More Posts by keithskye
Fly low, fly FAST!
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Jun 2004
112 Posts
A great link with the right information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickegan
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/digital-v...-says-faa.html

I contend that anyone getting a check or grant money is involved in a commercial operation. 14 CFR part 119 does not exclude research from the definition of "compensation or hire". Everything else we do is...
Patrick scores a bullseye here. Although I think that there will be some relief for the small stuff operating at relatively low altitudes, it will be up to those who are seriously interested in this to make their voices heard by the regulatory agencies, and it isn't just the FAA that is concerned about this. And not only do you have to be heard, you will have to be of one coherent voice with very well thought out ideas, plans and procedures.

If you want to have more freedom to operate in the way that most envision when first contemplating getting into the business, then you're going to have to look hard at what it will really take to share the air with full scale aircraft. I for one do not think it will be impossible to certify larger or higher flying systems, but it won't be very easy and it involves far more than most people can imagine.
keithskye is offline Find More Posts by keithskye