Thread: Build Log Bluecor Wing Build Thread
View Single Post
Old Mar 09, 2009, 09:54 AM
Find More Posts by cjbucher
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,757 Posts
42" Wing - Maiden went well!

Finally got all the electronics installed and got 2 flights in this morning. This is a nice flying wing. Smooth and floaty. Easy to launch and easy to land. Also has a good speed range. Fly slow or up to about 60 mph or so.

I moved my Park 400 4200 kv from my small wing to this wing. I did use a GWS gearbox with a 2.8 to 1 gear ratio and a 7x5 prop. The plane weighs 17 oz but generates 28 oz of thrust!

Part of the reason I moved the power system was that I was using a 4.1x4.1 prop on that high kv motor. While I did get 80 mph out it, it was really sucking down the power. Only 6 minute flights on an 1800 mah battery. I was running that motor way too inefficiently... But geared 2.8 to 1 with a 7x5 prop and now I'm getting over 10 minutes easily (probably more). After 8 minutes I still had 11.45 volts on the pack... Dramatic improvement in power consumption and efficiency.

Probably my only gripe is that I had to cut in quite a bit for the motor in order to get everything to balance. The battery is about as forward as I can get it...
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher