Old Feb 09, 2009, 04:00 AM
Find More Posts by dag214
Rock On- Damon Atwood
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
6,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eflyer_75214
Dag, looks like you are still off on the pivot points a little which is changing the load as the gear moves or is it just me imagining it. Seems to stutter a little along the way. Course, that may have been low pressure tests also. But still very impressive.

Ron
I have to ask, and I may not understand this as well as you, but what does the pivot points have to do with how smooth the gear moves??? This is a mock-up with out any nylon washers, or bearings to keep the friction down. The reason for the stutter is that the main axle on the strut is just a grade 8 3/8 bolt with no nylon bearing. As the load increases so does the friction. I calculated the pivot points so the the lowest possible load would be on the gear strut from 60-90 degrees. Unless I have a pivot point conflicting (binding) it would have nothing to do with how smooth it operated. The load will always change on the pivot points, the hardest pull is 15%, then again from 75%-100% of it's travel.

And when you say pivot point you may be meaning their bearings, and not geometry.

Real ones are not 100% smooth (the last one is funny):
Landing gear retraction test 1 (0 min 27 sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZNjrQfTP5s
Boeing 767 landing gear failure, disaster averted at Canadian MRO (0 min 31 sec)

Thanks, DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Last edited by dag214; Feb 09, 2009 at 06:35 AM.