Old Feb 05, 2009, 06:42 AM
Find More Posts by xairflyer
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,414 Posts
Build Log
Bleriot XI 1/2 scale build

Got loads of good ideas myself over the years from the online builds in the model forums so I thought I would do one myself and maybe I will be able to give something back.

I Always wanted to build a really big model, and after being in the model scene for 25yrs I thought it was time to start.

I have always liked early 1900ís aircraft and thought a Ĺ scale Bleriot X1 would be very appropriate coming up to Bleriotís 100yr anniversary.

Obviously no kits are available or even plans so I searched about until I found Mick Reeves (UK) 1/3rd scale version, and noted he had a ľ scale plan as well so I thought Iíll get those and have them blown up at a local print shop.
When speaking to Mick he suggested he could blow them up for me and also get the wing & tail ribs cut as well which was a great start.

I bugged a friend into going with me for a Mans few days to Duxford & Old Warden Museums in the UK Mainly for me to see the Bleriot, which was the example Mick had based his plans on.

Old Wardens Bleriot G-AANG serial no. 14, is not only genuine Louis Bleriot built 1909 version, but the oldest flying aeroplane in the world today, so very nostalgic and a fantastic choice to model.
I had arranged ahead with the museum to get behind the scenes and it turned out that the Bleriot was stripped in the workshop for a bit of restoration, which was even better as we got to see everything up close, and the wing etc in itís uncovered form. I think between us we took over 300 pictures !

This was all around this time last year and I have spent until now, phaffing about with other projects and only getting really started into the Bleriot after Christmas.

Being a big Project I have been wondering where to post a build log, and along with one on my side of the atlantic I wanted to get some feedback/help/ideas from the american forums.
Don Coe has already done an excellent build of a 1/3rd scale version on RC Scalebuilder so I decided on here, as have found this to be a great forum over the years and was where I first discovered that you could build your own CNC router which I built a few years ago and have been CNC'ing ever since.

Seamus
xairflyer is online now Find More Posts by xairflyer
Last edited by xairflyer; Mar 06, 2009 at 11:13 AM.