Thread: Gallery Show off your rockets!
View Single Post
Old Feb 04, 2009, 02:44 PM
Find More Posts by burkefj
Joined Oct 2006
2,572 Posts
Mach 10

Well, I framed it up, and added the carbon last night, did some glide tests, figured out the CG and installed the electrics. So, it is all done except for the body tube, and painting. AUW with electric is 10 oz and a 1320 pack, AUW with rocket installed and a 730 3s pack for igniting/rx power is 9oz. Hoping the tube won't add more than an ounce or two.

WS is 30" and length 22, I made the nose pointed, so imagine the tube covering the fuse, with the wings sticking out the sides, and the pointy nose red, sticking out of the front of the tube. The launch lug is mounted on the xform fuse.

I did some glide tests in the back yard and all looked good, so I did a maiden with the pusher electric. half throttle was plenty, it was a bit roll and pitch sensitive and I had put in too much up trim. So I landed, took out the up trim, toned down the roll and pitch and moved the battery forward an inch. It flew great with that setting, glide was slightly nose down, and very good, roll rate was good, if a little non-axial. Loops with the battery more forward were a little larger than I liked, so I increased the throws on pich a bit again.

The little stub horizontal stab didn't seem to affect the pitch control in any adverse way.

Flew great, landed after 10 minutes, landing was very predicatable.

I then installed the rocket motor with the flight CG marked and found out I could use a lighter battery for the same CG with the rocket, and the burnout CG was only 1/2" forward, so I won't need to drop or move any weight after boost. I think it keeps the look of the mach 10 pretty well, we'll see how it looks when the body tube arrives.

Enjoy

Frank
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
Last edited by burkefj; Feb 04, 2009 at 02:50 PM.