Thread: Gallery Show off your rockets!
View Single Post
Old Feb 03, 2009, 01:36 PM
Find More Posts by burkefj
Joined Oct 2006
2,572 Posts
Rokitflite, I constructed the airframe, minus tube last night, looks like around 30 inches and 4" diameter also, right about where you are, airframe weight is 2.5 ounces without some carbon and the body tube, shooting for 5-6. To make it work well for my construction style (cruciform) I have the wings mid mounted so that the foam structure will support the body tube, and I kept the small stub horiz stab but placed it at zero incidence, since my thrusline will be right up the center.

I made a pointy nose in the cruciform fuse structure which will stick out of the front of the tube similar to the original, it doesn't look like I'll need to drop any weight, as the CG is coming out pretty good with the swept wings and long nose moment, glide tests look good so far. It won't be an exact mach 10, but it should have a similar look, which is what I want.

BTW, my good buddy, John Lyngdal saw your Mach 10 flight at naram and said it was very very nice.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokitflite
Right,
Other people have suggested this but I wanted to scale up the Mach 10 as a Mach 10. I can certainly design something more efficient and aerodynamic, but that is not what I was going for. At NARAM 50 there were TONS of high performance gliders that would stay up for ages, but my single model got more attention than all of them because it simply looked cooler. I wanted to give people a show with it and I did. Oh, and the tube is a light weight Estes 4" tube. I'd love to see what you come up with Frank .

-Scott
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj