View Single Post
Old Jan 29, 2009, 05:33 PM
Find More Posts by stick08
nothing new under the sun
Joined Jun 2006
177 Posts
CC BEC from Castle when used with 5S Lipo

Hi Jim

So to makes things clear : OK to use the CC BEC 10A from Castle even if input voltage is more than 12 V ( 5S for me ) BUT I must select output to a minimum of 5.7 v or why not 6.5 Volt ? ( fully charged Nicad of 5 cell = 6.75Volts ) so my Hitec 65 / 82 /85 servo rated for 6 v should accept a little more voltage, If you can confirm please ,
I'm working on a Cessna Citation ( old Marutaka Kit long work on it ) with 2 Hacker motor B40-13l plus 2 HET Fan70 mm , 2x Kontronic ESC 55-6-18 and one 5S Lipo 3200 mah , 5 servo Hitec 65/85/82 and one retrac 75 BB, the RX is IFS XR 20 IFS ( XPS), and JR PCM 9X II radio.
the CC BEC will give power to the XPS, Hope I made a good choice because I buy it yesterday

the other solution is to use a second 2S Lipo of 800 mah plus a regulator of 6 Volt ( flight duration of 8/12 minute so I dont think I need much moure than 800 mah ) but it will be about 70 gram more .

tks
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
Look around on the forums. This issue has been discussed for months. We did testing ourselves and the higher the input voltage, the lower amperage output UNLESS you program the output voltage to be higher than the default 5.1v. The BEC is completely unusable with our system on a 4S Lipo in the Hobby Lobby F-5 jet (5 micro servos) when using 5.1v output. Setting the output to 5.7v or higher allows enough current to drive the servos. We tried 4 different Castle BECs, all with the same results.

There is a memo about this on Castle's website, where they specifically state a reduced output current when using more than 12v of input voltage.
stick08 is offline Find More Posts by stick08