View Single Post
Old Jul 21, 2003, 10:40 PM
Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,463 Posts
I know someone who checked on the cost of M20's directly from Mabuchi. The cost was quite reasonable, but the minimum order was 10,000 units.

Interestingly the Chinese manufacturers who copy the N20 don't do the same for the M20. I have never found a clone M20. They might exist, but I haven't found one yet.

The GWS Pico servo motor is a clone of the Mabuchi K10 (smaller brother to the M20). The GWS version has a slightly hotter wind than a genuine Mabuchi (I have both). So, yes it makes sense that not all clones are the same as the equivalent Mabuchi.

Quite a while back the GWS CEO stated that the numbers on the motors were for date of manufacture. I think this was about the time they introduced their N20 sized propulsion system.

The small motors can be very confusing. How about this one? The newer KP00 motors seem to have winds equivalent to the M20-LV in the E-Charger planes. Genuine KP00 motors from two years ago had a hotter wind, pull more amps, and generate more thrust. Ken Basset of Kenway told me that there have been at least 5 different M20's listed in the Mabuchi catalogs over the past five or six years, but currently there are only two. So, various motor winds come and go depending on the needs of their customers. I would guess that K&P exhausted their supply of the older KP00 M20 and are now using the same one as the E-Charger.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Jul 21, 2003 at 10:45 PM.