Old Jul 18, 2003, 04:44 PM
Find More Posts by Darren Hintze
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,711 Posts
Mini Flash Speed Wing Build and Fly

Hello All,

I must be one of the only U.S.-based old timers without a plane from Mountain Models but that's finally changed!

After researching options (I wanted a balsa 35-ish inch WS pattern-capable to replace a Tangent) I found the MF/Speed Wing seems to fit the bill perfectly!

I only know of one other E-Zoner flying this plane so I thought I'd post "build and fly" infomation about this.

First off, here's my planned power and performance:

Power System:
Mega 16-15-5 in GWS 2.14:1 (EPS400-A ratio) gearbox.
11x7E APC prop
9 cell 1100mah HECELLs (perhaps 3s2p lipo also)

I expect extended vertical, near 1:1 thrust and plenty of speed to pull the plane through competition-type patterns including 2, 4, and hopefully 8 point rolls, knife edge, Cuban-8's, Hammerhead stalls, etc.

I already have some planned modifications.

The MF wings are in two removeable panels with individual servos. I plan to build in the wings and convert to single aileron servo. The dowel spars will likely be replaced with CF Rod. The wing LE will also have some kind of CF reinforcement, either in the form of a rod replacement of the balsa stock or CF tape. The hollow balsa motor mount will also be replaced with solid basswood (I think the Mega may rip the stock one apart).

I plan to belly land so the stock LG will not be installed. I may add a snap-on LG (borrowed from the Tangent or Live Wire) system however.

I also plan to cover with Ultracote to add a bit more strength -- and because I prefer the material.

Because I can ditch the LG, I think the weight of my slightly beefed airframe should be very close if not lighter than the stock w/o gear... slightly heavier with.

Initial building review to follow!
Darren Hintze is offline Find More Posts by Darren Hintze