View Single Post
Old Jan 17, 2009, 03:44 PM
Find More Posts by tr6world
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
557 Posts
Early glimpses of the fuselage

Thanks Mark, Paul & Daniel. It seems like all of the p-47's that are out there were either smaller 30-40 inch wingspan or larger 60+ sizes and much heavier. They go from parkflyer size to 5 pound + planes. This will be small enough to fit in a trunk and still be a light build. I know it will turn out nice since my mentor for this project is Mark Rittinger. Mark has built lot of super warbirds and his building style is to have a realistic scale looking plane with simplified building techniques.

I forgot to mention that when cutting the foam for the fuselage, it is critical to make sure one side of the foam square has a good 90 degree side. The ends of the template will need clean square ends when they are mated with the other matching side.

With about 6 sections cut for each side (right and left), we taped them together to have a look at fit and finish. There are some minor imperfections that we can't sand out at this point. This is due to my cutting job..... not perfect but getting better.

After the first 6 or 7 sections, we got to the razorback part of the plane. These cuts were much more complex and it took Mark's experience to get it right. With 11 sections held together, the form of the p-47 fuselage is beginning to be recognizable.
tr6world is offline Find More Posts by tr6world