Thread: Discussion Sea Stories
View Single Post
Old Jan 16, 2009, 10:20 AM
Find More Posts by fooman2008
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,545 Posts
When I was younger, a looong time ago (a teenager),
I Had learned to sail in San Francisco at the old Alameda Naval Air Station marina. I my lightning fast 14 foot laser thought I could outsail anything afloat. Also in my ignorance thought that I, as a sail boat (i.e. not under power) had right of way over anything with power. Now my father, CO of a fast combat stores ships (AFS-7 the San Jose), heard me open my mouth once too often and borrowed a small motor boat and had us slooowly crawl up to the bow of the ship while I laid on my back in the bow. As we did this he informed of the first true rule of the sea tonnage has right way! you may have right of way but if he smashes you inot a grease spot who wins?
Five years later when I was active duty on a destroyer we pulled into Japan (Yokusaka I believe?) and the damned Greenpeace nitwits showed up to protest a nuclear powered anything pulling into Japanese waters. The skipper of the Carl Vinson actually aborted his first entrance into the harbor! The skipper of the battle group lost his temper and order the CO of the Vinson to put a pair of hose teams on the forward corners of the flight deck and hose anyone who got too close.
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008