View Single Post
Old Dec 26, 2008, 05:24 PM
Find More Posts by Mark Wolf
Flying electric since 1986
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,765 Posts
Discussion
T&J Models Waco YMF Prototype build (45" span version)

The following is my build thread for the T&J Models 45" span Waco YMF biplane. Some time back, Jim Young designed and kitted a cute little 30" Waco. I've seen it fly a few times and really like the design, especially the pull out battery tray. The only thing that stopped me from grabbing one of the kits was the size, I wanted something just a bit bigger. A few weeks ago I decided that it was too cool a model not to build and sent Jim an order for one. To my surprise he replied that he had enlarged the design to 45" inch span! That was exactly what I had wanted and so I asked Jim to let me build one of the prototypes.

UPDATE 06/2010: The Waco had been completed and flown! Read the thread for full info, but here are a few finished pics and videos:

All the build photos for this project can also be viewed HERE

T&J Models 1/8 Waco YMF Battery Access (0 min 45 sec)

T&J Models 1/8 Waco YMF (3 min 58 sec)

Kit contents: all laser cut parts and neatly printed plans. Very nice wood, none of that junk lite-ply stuff. This is a short kit, the builder supplies the standard stock.

I planned to really jump into this project today, but it didn't turn out that way. I spent most of the day driving around town looking for an acceptable piece of steel for my new magnetic building board (Santa gave me a few hundred magnets), and a straight piece of metal was harder to find than I thought.

I did get the patterns cut for the laminated wing tips and tail feathers. The wing tip patterns where copied and printed from the plans, the tail surfaces copied by hand with tracing paper. The patterns were then stuck to some foamboard and cut out. I've made up a shopping list and after a trip to the hobby shop tomorrow I'll start cutting wood!

Standard disclaimer: I'm not an expert builder. I present the following only as a description of what I've done and make no claims as to this being the best way to build a model.
Mark Wolf is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wolf
Last edited by Mark Wolf; Aug 03, 2011 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Uploaded pics to RC Groups