View Single Post
Old Jul 08, 2003, 12:29 PM
Find More Posts by greg morrison
San Francisco
Joined Jul 2000
982 Posts
Looking at your rankings I'd be really surprised if the Spinner came out last in flat field thermaling performance. In fact, if it does build out at 15 ozs I'd be inclined to put it at the top of this list. Considering its airfoil, 60 inch span and ability to use camber and reflex I would expect it to outperform the other models you mention over a wide range of conditions. I own a Seeker and have seen Red Herrings and Bugs (not extended wing versions) in action at my flying field. The wingloading is a bit high (but not unworkable at 5 oz pr. sq. ft) on the Spinner but everything else about its platform suggests that it will outperform the other models on the list. I love one meter hlgs (if the span gets any shorter than this I notice a big fall off in performance) and flying wings but a 1.5 meter hlg with the proper platform, airfoil and flying weight is hard to beat. If you're a skilled pilot you could get alot of performance out of the Spinner in my opinion despite the fact that it is a bit heavy. If you're more comfortable with R/E only I'd go with the Seeker, Gambler or extended wing Bug (which hopefully is extended to at least one meter). None of these will penetrate like the Spinner or match its ability to range over a field looking for lift however.

Greg
greg morrison is offline Find More Posts by greg morrison
Last edited by greg morrison; Jul 08, 2003 at 07:04 PM.