View Single Post
Old Jul 06, 2003, 12:07 AM
Find More Posts by alkoo
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,373 Posts
Gday Sapok,
I have made 3 Bats and I recommend you dont follow thae standard building instructions. Mings technique is fine but it doesnt bring out the full potential of the plane. Instead, you will need to put the spar provided on the BOTTOM of the wing, and put another spar across the TOP from wingtip to wingtip. Its not stiff enough without at least a full spar completely across the top.
Then completely cover the WHOLE plane in 1 covering of fibertape. Put an extra 2 layers along the front section of the wing from the spars to the leading edge. Then out about 7 or so layers over the beak.
This may all seem a little excessive compared to Mings instructions, but believe me it works. The final weight of the plane will be around 1 kilo but it will still fly in about 6 knots, and will be totally ballastic in medium to high wind!! I DS mine and its been as fast as a JW!! You will have to add heaps more lead to balance it (about 360g) and will have to enlarge the ballast bays to the side to accomodate it.
Check out the Forum at Windrider for some of my right ups. By the way, I only use standard size radio gear.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need some more info.

Regards,

Warren Green
Newcastle
Australia
alkoo is offline Find More Posts by alkoo