Thread: Discussion 1.5 M Zip Start Event
View Single Post
Old Nov 15, 2008, 08:19 PM
Find More Posts by lincoln
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,235 Posts
In the '80s, I went to a contest in Rhode Island where they launched with 4 high starts, I think simultaneously. The high starts were probably sized best for 2M or light 100". (you wouldn't be using them to launch a Duck)

Frank Weston once ran an event where you could throw your hlg or use this rubber thing he had set up between two poles. I don't remember much about it, but I think it worked.

I may set up something like this as my shoulder heals, but I'm hoping in a couple of months of careful lifting, I'll have my shoulder up to full force again. Those of you who want to dlg next year may be well advised to do some strength exercises over the next few months so you don't get hurt in the new season. If you don't want to go to the gym, you can set up some easy rotator cuff exercises using a bungee, small dumbells, etc. I understand that pushups are not a bad idea.

This summer I felt that I was finally getting the hang of dlg launches. Then I launched an Apogee, and simultaneously heard impressed comments from spectators and felt something was not right in my shoulder.

So, if things don't feel right, it may be very prudent to use a little high start.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln