Old Oct 26, 2008, 10:16 AM
Find More Posts by Marcinb
3D Soon-To-Be....
Chicago
Joined Apr 2008
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIVIA
Sorry Jim, but I find it unbelievable that NO ONE has called you to the carpet for conducting a snap roll at full throttle and, presumably, at a high rate of speed such that it exceeded the structural limit of the wings.

Given your extensive model aviation experience, as well as your experience with full scale aviation, you should have known better! Especially considering the recent repairs done to the wing!!

Don't take this personally, but everyone here is putting you on a pedestal for a good save, when in fact you broke a buddy's perfectly good airplane through bad judgment and poor technique.

I know some folks will suggest Iím being a first-class jerk, but everyone should spend some time reading this forum:

http://www.airtalk.org/1-vt16256.html?start=0

Here is the disclaimer Ö this forum is discussing full scale aircraft and we all know that most models are built to withstand higher G loads. However, the basic principle is still the same Ö snap rolls should not be conducted at speeds greater than 2 times the stall speed. Since most of us donít have live telemetry showing the airspeed of the model, a general rule of Ĺ throttle in level flight would be safe. On down lines, itís safe to say that the throttle should not be greater than Ĺ as well.

If you conduct snaps above these speeds, you are flying at risk and will likely break the airplane. This video is a perfect case-in-point! It might not break the first time you do a high speed snap, but over time you will certainly fatigue the airplane to the point of structural failure.

So, good save Jim, but shame on you for creating this situation in the first place.

I will now put on my flame retardant suit ... flame on everybody ...

Well yeah, so what you are suggesting is that everyone with an Extra/Yak/ Or a 3d capable model, should only putt putt around in circles, as to stay safe with an airplane?!
That's what scale Cessna's are for!
You are telling everyone to do no manouvers!
Marcinb is offline Find More Posts by Marcinb