View Single Post
Old Oct 24, 2008, 08:21 AM
Find More Posts by bdelapen
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,792 Posts
Hi ADB2,

Thanks for your comments, I designed the wing spar using principles I learned when doing composites manufacturing (carbon, honeycomb, carbon sandwiches). It works under the theory of an I-Beam, strong top and bottom, compression resistant middle. I know Depron does not have the best compression characteristics so I was curious to see how the spar would perform in static tests. I clamped one end to the granite bench in my kitchen and loaded the other end with some heavy weights I had around. I got about 6mm deflection on about 20Kg of weight. I believe that this should be fine for what I need but if I do sense that there is too much wing flex I will go ahead and sheath the Depron foam in the next one I build with some balsa to add to it's compression strength.

On a completely separate note. I looked hard at my graphics design and decided to add some more variety to the overall design so I made some small changes, results are attached.

- Birger

P.S. I got my camera so hopefully I will be posting some more build pictures this evening.
bdelapen is online now Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member