View Single Post
Old Oct 01, 2008, 08:20 AM
Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Team LRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,953 Posts
Help!
Greatplanes RV-4 .60 scale build thread.

Hey guys! I finally, after flying for 10 years, purchased my first larg scale plane, the GP RV-4 ARF! Yeah, yeah, its not totally scale or very big as far as large scale IMAC goes, but it is a 26% 1/4 scale plane.
The full sized RV-4 has a span of 276" (23') and the GP's span is 70", 26% smaller than the full scale, so this model just squeeks by the cutoff line

I powering it with a Magnum XL-91RFS 4-Stroke, which is really why I purchaced the plane so the motor would have a nice warm cowl to live in.

I've desided to scale it outa bit by adding small outside details like break lines and no-step details, pilot tues and such, nothing like rivets or the like. I am also going to scale up the cockpit and possibly backlight the instruments and such, but the big thing im going to do with this model is install lights all the way around.

I'll be using RAM non-flashing ultra bright Navs, RAM rotating beacon for the vertical stabe, and RMA strobes as well.

Running the beacon shouldnt be a big deal, just cut the hole in the top and run a stiff wire down the stabe and out the bottom so that I can thread the light through before epoxying the stab in place.

The real problem will be adding the navs and strobes to the wing tips. Sure, running them through teh wing will be easy enough. Sence the wings plug into the fuse sides I will have to cut and add connectors to th wires so I can easly plug the wires back into the mixing board leads as I would servo leads.., but in the RV-4, the Navs and the strobes are both usually housed int the LE tip of the wings in a clear contured dome.
This is the only forseen problem I will have is makeing a clear dome to match the origional LE tip! (see pix)

My question is to you awsome scale modelers is: How can I make a clear LE wing tip dome and from what plastic without damaging the model?

Thanks so much! The plane should be in this afternoon and i'll pick it up on my lunch break and order the lights then!
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Last edited by Mchone, Jake; Oct 01, 2008 at 09:51 AM.