View Single Post
Old Sep 30, 2008, 05:20 PM
Find More Posts by Gordon
Joined Aug 2000
3,946 Posts
Hi Kirk

With a large costly project like this, it would be a shame for it to sound like a foamy. After all the EDFs you've made with other fans it must now make sense to go for a more turbine-like sound despite the extra cost, and choose the EVFs, even if it means selling the motors you have.

After 50+ flights with my Stumax, when/if I eventually put my DS94-1527/1.5Y combo into a model, I know that I'll dislike the DS94 sound despite that fan's great performance potential - the whine will always be intrusive; I've already become fed up with the screams and whines of my four 90mm and 69mm EDFs.

I think that a fantastic project like your F/A-18 flying around full of ordnance and completely warlike in appearance but sounding like all the other EDFs you ever had will eventually annoy you when you know that you could have made it sound a lot better.

I haven't heard the latest EVF of course, but my Stumax, which doesn't seem to impress you all that much, sounds so much more model turbine-like (like Chris, I feel that scale-like is probably not the best description) than any other fan I've owned or heard that I have another on order.

IMHO, turbine-sounding EDFs are the future in big scale EDFs at least, as it probably doesn't matter as much for a sport jet. Whether smaller EDFs can ever catch up sound-wise is another matter.

Gordon
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon