The Owl-RT 3D Depron lightweight trainer
This is the Owl-RT, wingspan 806mm (31.7"). It is built from 3mm Depron (1 sheet), a spruce spar and various other easy to find materials and components. AUW is 240~280g (8.5~10oz) depending on motor and battery, but can be built as light as 200g if you skip the landing gear and use balsa for the spar. A 100~120W motor is recommended, a properly rewound BW is probably perfect.
A detailed build log, plans and flight reports can be found in my blog
here at RCGroups.
The main features of the Owl-RT are:
- Aerobatics and basic 3D capable.
- Indoors and outdoors (up to 20km/h winds).
- Easy and inexpensive to build and repair.
- Small enough to easily fit on the back seat of my compact car.
- Can fly very slowly with full control authority.
- Very gentle stall (nose tips down).
- Unlimited vertical with the right motor.
- Good documentation.