View Single Post
Old Sep 27, 2008, 08:27 PM
Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Last century, baby..!.
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,776 Posts
Secure that battery!

The rain stopped and the wind calmed a bit, finally, so I decided to get it a quick flight tonight - only the second time I've been able to fly in the month of September. Turned on the radio slapped in a battery and went for it. After a few laps around the field, I began putting the F-22 through its wild snap loops and rapid direction changing maneuvers when "vip" the motor quit and I saw something fly off. After a few seconds of trying to control the airplane, I heard a smack out in the field and realized that the something was my battery. I didn't even have to wonder what happened, I knew I forgot to wrap the Velcro strap around the battery and the wild maneuver ejected it.

Meanwhile, the F-22 is still coming down kind of like a leaf, rocking back and forth nose up, nose down and I'm standing there expecting it to stall and nose in or something, but at the last second it flared all on its own and settled onto the ground as gently as I've ever landed it.

So luck was with me or so it seems. I'll keep an eye on the battery, as it fell from about 75-100 feet, but does not appear to be damaged thanks to the soft ground. The aircraft is completely intact and undamaged - not even a scratch.

Lesson learned.

Ben
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer