Thread: Discussion Some thoughts on Kiev
View Single Post
Old Sep 24, 2008, 06:15 PM
Find More Posts by davidleitch
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,875 Posts
I feel the FAI were the victims of a "bait and switch" strategy. Originally the event was to be held at Odessa where it would have been warmer, the field was much closer to town and we would have had more choices in accomodation.

Then apparently the Odessa field was unavailable (ie the airforce wanted more money for renting it) and so we were switched to kyev. The organiser should have had more certainty over the field before submitting the original bid and should have been penalised for changing the location. As it was contestants were penalised in many ways.

A higher budget is needed at the outset, and not withstanding the Ukraine was the only offer on the table, a higher standard is required.

The problems wouldn't have mattered so much if it had been dry but that doesn't alter the fact that the organisation was unsatisfactory. The rain was unpredictable but the freezing cold wind was not. Denise Hines actually pointed out to me months ago how cold it might be as one of the reasons why they weren't going, and so fortunately I took a number of warmer clothes. Not enough though.

F5B flying is arguably at an exciting point and given reasonable locations could expect an increase in numbers. Let's give the world championship a location and cultural support that it deserves.
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch