View Single Post
Old Sep 24, 2008, 05:25 AM
Find More Posts by bill34207
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,980 Posts
Ouch LBJ
Your experience falls into the category of tail heavy planes don't fly far (I think). Or possibly it just couldn't get enough flying speed from the hand launch. Even in nose heavy cg balance it falls out of the air pretty quick if you slow it down too much. Regardless of the HL hype on how well it flies with it's light weight, the design still has much of it's full sized counterparts flying characteristics. It's not nearly as forgiving as say the Hobby People F-16.
I'm using the elevator linkages in the factory positions with 100% throws on high rate and 70% on low rate (30% expo on both settings). I did both my flights on high rates.
My 1st flight was done with cg set at 4-3/4" from leading edge (just to play it safe). 2bd flight (video) was with cg at 5" from leading edge. It still felt nose heavy so will try the next one around 5-1/4". I still think that 165mm (6-3/8") is too far back for a stable flight on a delta wing with a 14" root chord. It may eventually prove me wrong and will continue moving the cg a little at a time until it feels right in flight.
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90 mm Super Scale F-16