1. Great and simple speed upgrade is the 35 mm props (2 in a package for $5) from Minicatracingusa.com
2. I also run 2s 1320 Lipo for a bit less wieght= faster to get "on step" and bit more speed.
3. I removed the left rudder so less drag. At slow speed it takes longer to make a turn, but most of the time we are driving it when it is "on step" and on plane and 1 rudder works great...and a is a bit faster.
4. I flipped my Mini Rio a couple times on some waves and the outer hatch was ejected even though the it was closed with the plactic tab. It sinks.
So I ordered a new outer hatch and now have a piece of foam CA'd to the inside of it so it floats.
Small piece of electrical tape would work too.
5. Oh, also!! I like driving left handed. It is easy to remove the top of the Tx by removing the screws and turning the whole head 180 degrees so the wheel is on the left side and reinstall the screws and good to go!