View Single Post
Old Aug 27, 2008, 09:51 AM
Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
United States, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Mar 2006
3,421 Posts
Hey guys. Looks like I'm late to the party. I have been one of the "FPV Five" (the five guys that have been working offline on a set of proposed regulations. Things have been really busy for me and I haven't had a chance to get back on rcgroups in two weeks. Anyway, I'm back, and glad to see things are shaping up here. Just a couple of quick notes here...

1) I missed the first round of discussions (arguments?), but one thing I'd like to comment on.. There was a lot of negative feedback on the airplane limitations (weight, speed, etc.). For the record, I was never in favor of stating weight/speed/etc. limitations other than those of the AMA code. I thought we (as in the FPV Five group) had come to a decision to use the existing AMA regulations for those, but somehow that seemed to have changed. Anyway, many people have spoken, and I am glad to see that the proposed regulations now use the AMA limits.

2) The biggest issues that I see for us are going to be the altitude and distance limitations. I don't know where things are going to end up, but I have a bad feeling that we are going to be limited to 400ft AGL and visual line of sight. That's a huge blow to FPV flying since the very nature of it allows for safely flying beyond those limitations. Long range flying is something I really enjoy (in the proper safe environment of course!). So this is a huge frustration for me. It's been suggested though, that we may need to make a separate set of rules for long range flying. I imagine that will not be easy at all, but it may end up being a reality unfortunately.

Anyway, just checking in, since I've been off the forum for a couple of weeks.

Brian
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang