View Single Post
Old Jun 11, 2003, 04:00 AM
Find More Posts by corosplat
Umeň Sweden
Joined Nov 2001
167 Posts
help with inverted v-tail trim

I just built a twin-boom pusher plane out of correx with an inverted v-tail and need some tips on setup/design mods. The plane was inspierd by Sparky Paul's camera plane (OK, I pretty much copied it ).

It looks like this in-flight:

It generally flys OK, but I have some problems with tail wagging. It seems like after every control input, it oscillates for some time until it settles back into a stable condition. Also the tail hangs low in both right and left turns which may or may not be related.

General dimensions are 1.2m wingspan (polyhedral), 18cm root chord. Tail flat dimensions are 34cm span by 13cm (mean) chord. The v-tail angle was supposed to be 110 degrees, but turned out more like 115. It has a geared (2.33:1) speed400 with an 8x6, total weight 640g and seems to have plenty of power.

I'm thinking the tail might be a bit small (~20% of wing area) especially the vertical projected area, or not far enough back. I might be able to fix the tail-hanging problem with v-tail differential or a more forward CofG. Any ideas?

/Splat
corosplat is offline Find More Posts by corosplat