Old Aug 24, 2008, 02:26 AM
Find More Posts by Hossfly
New Caney TX.
Joined Mar 2002
343 Posts
Apology

Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster
I'm already in contact with the AMA and will be working with them throughout the lifespan of the document. Funny how Horace Cain ignored me when I emailed him.
typicalaimster, please accept my sincere apology. I read that mail as simply an informative advisement. I did not intend to ignore you. Again, I am sorry for my inattention.

Now, I am definitely NOT a wise individual reference this First Person Video thing, yet with just a bare introduction, I can see that this thing will spread, AMA or No AMA.
While as an individual with over 65 years active model aviation behind me, I can see FPV to be a real fun game. However some 41 years of professional aviation and 28 of those years in civil aviation where the FAA is a daily acronym in the mind, I foresee several major traps.
1. FAA is the biggest bureaucracy I am aware of. Having survived six (6) consecutive IRS audits, I think an audit is favorable to trying to reason with FAA persons.
2. AMA needs a green light from FAA prior to giving the greenlight to RCers.
3. The potential of increased accidents will loom big with the FAA bureaucrats who will have no problem sacrificing AMA's 150,000 voters for saving the world from these dangerous model airplane fanatics and possible terrorists. That is sarcasm but one has to know the FAA and I do from my first civil pilot's license to airline transport pilot, being under their gun for 28 years, including one criminal charge. That was thrown out of court however a year of harassment was not fun.
4. My BIG Fear: RC pilots are NOT trained for Situational Awareness and when they have goggles on they will never see anything but their model. In fact my experience dictates most are far too focused even without goggles. For the past 30 years so many young pilots are "instrument pilots" from day one. They don't know how to "Check Six" or what it means. Once the RC people start using these Video machines all the younger ones will want the same and never learn to be aware of the potential weapon they are trying to control.
That means if AMA can get and pass on that green light, then a lot of training may well be required for any decently safe operation.

Right now I don't have an answer that you would like to hear. AMA has to become much more sophisticated with dealing with Federal Bureaucracy before this green light happens. I'm afraid the "new technologies" may well be like tube receivers prior to the current AMA getting anything accomplished.

As Einstein said, "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them."
AND:
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

IMO AMA needs a facelift, but the membership ignores the ballots and it's the same old operation there. Another old saying: "The longest journey is begun with the first step."

Horrace Cain

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."

George Washington
Hossfly is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly