View Single Post
Old Oct 11, 2001, 12:36 AM
Find More Posts by webguyjv
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
Sorry For the Confusion I've Introduced into This Topic..

John, I looked over Belevance's two submissions to this thread and I'm not able to find his mention that he intends to fly from flat land in a zero lift situation. All I can see is that he's looking at foamie gliders, and that he has the able assistance of a club, and that they're going to introduce him using a buddy box.

Beyond that, I can't ascertain what the flying site will be like, or what the wind/lift situation is like.

Armed with that initial information, it sounds like ANY glider would fit his/her needs.

Since you've been reading and contributing to these groups for two years now, it's likely that you're better at reading between the lines than I am ;-)

I was flying at another local site recently -- Coyote Hills in Fremont, on the San Francisco Bay, and a gentleman was there with a plane that comes closer to the plane you defined. The interesting thing was that he designed it and built it with an aluminum mold that he made with a CNC desktop end mill connected to his computer CAD system.

I was amazed in that this guy was new to mechanical/aeronautical design -- he designs software for a living. He caught the RC bug and was really intrigued on HLG designs -- so much so that he had to try his hand. It had an intresting looking eliptical wing -- maybe in the 30 - 40" range, with a fiberglass pod and a composite boom.

He was discus launching it on the slope, but he said that he designed it for flat field, no wind situations. This was the first time I actually saw a discus launch and I was amazed at how fast it went, and how high the climbout was.

Pretty cool ;-)

Happy flying

Jean
webguyjv is offline Find More Posts by webguyjv