Thread: Discussion micro HLG - video at last!
View Single Post
Old Jul 20, 2008, 12:48 PM
Find More Posts by micro_builder
United States, MN, Corcoran
Joined Jan 2005
4,068 Posts
Discussion
micro HLG - video at last!

hey folks,

its been some time since i did anything micro, got bit by the glider bug, but i thought i'd try combining the two sides of the hobby and have come up with this so far.

i scaled down and modified a set of plans for a full 60" DLG called the Manta and started cutting balsa. building these D-box style balsa wings are pretty fun, reminds me of what got me into micro RC in the first place. still a few little tricks to learn to make the airfoil a bit more clean, but otherwise it should do well.

the fuse pod is carved from a block of balsa, probably needs a bit more weight removed, but we'll see. tail feathers are 1/16th balsa sanded with a bit of an airfoil with some CF tow for streangth. i was going to go with a standard elevator, but thought i'd go the long way and do a full flying elevator. seems to work well enough so far.

main wing is all 1/32 and 1/16th with CF tow here and there. standard tissue for the covering, but it didnt turn out quite as well as i hoped, so i may recover it with something a bit more stiff...if i can find it. the wing came in at only 3.6g before the tissue, but its up over 5g now, wingspan is 20 inches.

not sure what gear i want to use, i could go with an MI rx and those .8g bio servos, or get a PZ brick. not sure if the bio servos will be up to the load though, lots of forces on the tail. i'll post more as i go along the build.

nick
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
Last edited by micro_builder; Apr 10, 2009 at 10:03 AM.