View Single Post
Old Jun 25, 2008, 06:40 PM
Find More Posts by kgfly
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
not.likely - some good questions there. I don't know all the answers but perhaps can help with some of them and we can hope that JunSi will fill in the missing pieces.

Quote:
If the Input jack is limited to 7A - would that not mean for 200watt capability of the charger you would need a 28V input, yet limit is 19V ?
The input jack is indeed limited to 7A (6A on 106B) and is there for convenience for anyone that has an existing power-supply with a suitable connector and rating (eg laptop/lcd supply) but does not support the full output power of the charger. If you need the full power of the charger you must use the input leads and not the input jack.

Quote:
LiPo monitor mode...
This is an unanswered question and we need JunSi to explain. As far as I can tell you need to have a parallel connection to the main power leads for this mode to work. That is, you connect the balance lead to the charger and a parallel adapter to the battery's main power leads. This lets you connect the power leads to the charger (for monitoring) and to the external load or other charger.

Quote:
Does it matter which balance socket I use if for example I only want to monitor the cells of a single 3s battery can I use any of the 3 x sockets on the board or only "D" ?
YES it does matter. You must connect to the most negative socket which is the righthand one on the standard adapter board.

Quote:
Balance speed / Trickle[/u]. I don’t understand any of this in the manual. Could someone explain in simple terms to a dumbo like me what this is about.
LiXx charging takes place in two phases, first Constant Current (CC) and then Constant Voltage (CV). In CV mode the voltage is held constant and the current gradually drops off as the battery charges up. The charge cycle is terminated when several conditions are met, one of which is that the the charge current has fallen below a certain threshold.

The Balance Speed setting adjusts the threshold current at which the charge cycle will be terminated. The higher the threshold, the sooner the cycle will complete so the "faster" the balancing. It is perhaps a misnomer as the balancing action itself happens at the same rate, but the duration of the balancing phase will be reduced. In Fast mode the threshold is Ic/5. That means that when the charge current falls to one-fifth of the configured current and the cells are in balance the cycle will finish. In Normal mode the threshold is Ic/10. So the cycle will continue for longer and a little bit more charge will be pumped into the battery than in Fast mode. The cost is a non-linear increase on overal charge time. Similarly, in Slow mode the threshold is Ic/40 so the charge time will increase very significantly. Note that the difference in state of charge between Fast and Slow is perhaps 5% at most but the difference in time to complete could be hours. Also it is worth noting that LiXx cell last longer if not charged to 100% so Fast mode has several advantages at the cost of a few percent reduction in flight duration.

Quote:
Charge Discharge power limit...the charger (in auto mode) will reduce the output to stop the input dropping too low - is that right? If so, why not just leave the setting on Auto all the time - when would I NOT want auto ?
Yes that is right and I cannot think of a good reason not to use Auto mode so long as you set an appropriate voltage threshold to protect whatever input supply you are using from overload and overheating.

Quote:
When discharging[/u] , if you wanted to discharge at say 7A, then presumably you can only do it at that rate on a 4.28V ( or less ) battery due to the max limit of 30watt on the 1010B ?
Yes. The table at the end of the manual shows the max discharge current for each combination of chemistry and cell count.

Quote:
There is mention of a there a transmitter charge feature to “bypass” the diode problem after you guys discussed it -Where is it / what is it called ?
As far as I know this was simply a bug fix to the NiXx charging algorithm. I used to have a problem with v2.4 but with v2.6 it just works. I have not upgraded to v3.x so cannot say for sure if there are any changes in this behaviour.

Quote:
Is the HXT esc key useable for firmware upgrading - it was mentioned earlier in this thread. I use winXP and already have this USB key and the HXT drivers installed.
It should work but one other user has tried unsuccessfully. I encourage you to try and see if you can get it working, then let us know how
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly