RC Groups

RC Groups
    Scale Boats
        Discussion Winter's Project Hartman Tug

#1 H.Lauer Nov 11, 2008 07:14 PM

Winter's Project Hartman Tug

I've just started building one of Dwights tugs Hull # 639 7/18/07. I'll post pics. shortly if anyone is interested. Going to be fun!! Harry

#2 more coffee Nov 11, 2008 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H.Lauer
I've just started building one of Dwights tugs Hull # 639 7/18/07. I'll post pics. shortly if anyone is interested. Going to be fun!! Harry

always nice to see something new ...looking forward to it ...

#3 Ed Crowell Nov 11, 2008 08:25 PM

A couple of years ago I called Dwight on the phone about ordering his large tug, He informed me he was several months behind on orders. So I decided not to order one and ever since I have been sorry I did not wait. Did you see the build article in Ships in Scale by Kurt Van Dahm? The part 1 article started with the July / August 2006 issue. Please post lots of pictures.

Ed

#4 woodybob Nov 11, 2008 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H.Lauer
I've just started building one of Dwights tugs Hull # 639 7/18/07. I'll post pics. shortly if anyone is interested.

Yes indeed...interested.

#5 Aerominded Nov 11, 2008 09:53 PM

You do great work! Absolutely interested in seeing how your project comes together! :)

#6 rlboats2003 Nov 12, 2008 04:10 AM

Yes Please Post the build

For those interested the Hartman Tug is still availble at Hartman Model Boats
at http://www.hartmanmodelboats.com.

Happy Modeling,
Rich

#7 H.Lauer Nov 13, 2008 01:03 PM

Started....

4 Attachment(s)
I got a start on the tug last weekend. I've made up the stand using the supplied templets. Quite robust! The hull is sanded down to the scribbed line and the deck suports are on. I used a mix of evercoat polyester resin and west system filler powder. Makes into a nice paste. The hull plateform is made up (1/8 luan ply ) and installed. I'm going to be using a Mack Products 4 to 1 gearbox and a graupner 700 size torque motor. I made up a stuffing tube and have laid out motor and gearbox supports. I really like the size of this model 42 inches x 12. I'm going to reinforce under the deck for towing :D should be fun! more in a bit, Harry

#8 LONGBIKE Nov 13, 2008 04:11 PM

H.Lauer,

This a great kit to build from, I have built 2 of those and I still have 2 kits still on hand for myself.
You might want to get rid of the houser pipes in the rear 4 total of them they are not accurate to scale and I have seen some peoples Hartman take on water thru these with a strong motor, the motor will drive down the stern under power and water then comes in thru those holes.

Cant wait to see more!
Jeff

#9 H.Lauer Nov 16, 2008 01:07 PM

A little more progress..

3 Attachment(s)
I took advange of some "warmer" weather and got some work done on the hull. I mixed up some fiberglass paste and along with bondo and autobody putty was able to get rough spots out. I had to reform the keel as there were lots of hollows and air bubbles (voids). I'm still happy with how the hull is coming along, just takes a little more work.

#10 H.Lauer Nov 16, 2008 01:39 PM

Deck supports, motor & gearbox, rudderblock etc...

3 Attachment(s)
I did locate a couple of the Ships and Scale Mag. issues with the build up of this kit. I did a few things differently, but it was helpful. Everyone does things differently :D
I built up a rudder block and set that in with fiberglase paste. I made a push rod of sorts as I'm not a big fan of cable (Midewest lobsterboat comes to mind) The rudder was made as per the plans Good setup!!
I thought about changing out the molded in hawes holes but I think I will stick with them. There are a little oversize... I plan on making the deck very watertight and will have a coaming around the cabin.
A few more rounds of primer/ filler and the hull should be ready for finish paint. course that won't be for a while... more to come, Harry

#11 A-37 Nov 16, 2008 03:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This will be a great project to follow.

Here are some pics from Hartman's 1977 catalog:

#12 Predreadnut Nov 17, 2008 12:05 AM

Does anyone know what hull number there up to?

#13 rlboats2003 Nov 17, 2008 10:08 AM

For the Douglas Greg tug

Dwight was up in the low 600 range for the Douglas Greg style hull, Under Hartman Model Boats because of adding gell coat we are starting at 1 and going from there. I don't know what was produced during the Steve Laird period.

Happy Modeling,
Rich

#14 patmat2350 Nov 17, 2008 10:54 AM

Shucks, I was hoping you'd continue the hull numbering scheme!

With so many out there, there should be a Hartman reunion- can you imagine if HALF the Harbor tugs showed up? I think maybe half a dozen at most have gathered at St Louis?

#15 rlboats2003 Nov 17, 2008 01:02 PM

It would be interesting -

Pat

They are all over the world - Even based on the limited group of pictures We got from the estate I have pictures of over 75 different ones of the Greg. I just got finished scanning them as well as all the pictures dwight had hanging in the house and there is still 2 more boxes of those pictures that need to be done. I have to beleive the H. Lauer serial number in a previous post has to be the last one that Dwight completed. The date of manufacture is only a short period from the time he started to get sick (at least as far as I found out from one of his closer local friends). The last thing it look like he was working on was a Greg - since most of the molds were on the prep table.
I know one of the next things on my list is to rework the Pilot house window area so a new mold can be made. The rest looks in reasonable shape. Got to finish the clean up on the Diane - and find some similar material for the canopy after almost 20 years it lost its new look.

Going to go,
Rich