RC Groups

RC Groups
    Micro Ready-to-Fly
        Discussion MSL gear in Harbor Freight free flight.... build

#1 cougar1969 Jun 27, 2008 06:31 PM

MSL gear in Harbor Freight free flight.... build

8 Attachment(s)
I used MSL guts in this free flight glider. I forgot to take pictures of it after I was done, but I do have a few during the build. I got the itch to just get her done and fly her.

Flight report.

I am happy to say that it flies really well, with the exception of the wings being way to flimsy. The MSL gear has plenty of power to climb up to about 50 feet and perform power off turns. It turns real sharp with power off, so sharp that my left wing collapsed ending my first flights in a spectacular spinning crash that broke the horizontal stab in half. An easy fix, but I need to figure a way to stiffin the main wing. I am thinking of gluing on a thin strip of balsa down the wing length and adding a set of struts. Will try again after that and post more pictures.

Brian.

#2 lightspeeddud Jun 27, 2008 06:32 PM

tells us how it flys. Post a video why your ready

#3 cougar1969 Jun 27, 2008 06:34 PM

I dont have the capability for video right now, unless I can get my bro around to do it. Will try that. Might be a while before I can get back to it though, I work a lot.

Brian.

#4 lightspeeddud Jun 27, 2008 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougar1969
I dont have the capability for video right now, unless I can get my bro around to do it. Will try that. Might be a while before I can get back to it though, I work a lot.

Brian.

check your inbox for messages. I send you a couple regarding the purchase

#5 skiesthelimit Jun 27, 2008 07:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice build! Glad to hear that it flies. My harbor freight free flight plane is in ruins.

#6 Plastic_Avatar Jun 27, 2008 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiesthelimit
Nice build! Glad to hear that it flies. My harbor freight free flight plane is in ruins.

OT, but what kind of tape did you use there?

I'm trying to find a lightweight, strong tape for my piddly projects :D

#7 skiesthelimit Jun 27, 2008 08:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have no idea what it is called but it has a fiber in it that makes it impossible to break, except by scissors. Op here it is: http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html
I guess that it is called filament tape. Really strong stuff but not too light, but it should work.

#8 Ched Jun 28, 2008 01:14 PM

I have used that tape to stiffen the wings on planes. It works good.