RC Groups

RC Groups
    Coaxial Helicopters
        Discussion What to do? Failed tricopter build!

#1 Razor_Racer May 13, 2008 06:19 PM

What to do? Failed tricopter build!

Here is the thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ricopter+build

Unfortunatly, it doesnt work. Now I realize why all the other quad and tri motor things have gyros :rolleyes: I tried building that without any gyros, and no luck - waay to sensitive.

Motors designed for 9x6 props, went down to 8x6, that helped a little, and even radio is down to 2% travel, but it seems to be that the ESC's "steps" are too big. That what I get for buying a cheap $10 esc!

So now I'm wondering, now what. I could solve the problem immediately by buying a $2000 Spartan AP2000i, but thats costly... I could just make 3 planes, but I'm still losing some money and effort on this tricopter... lastly I could just buy 3 cheap $12 gyros from Hobby City and directly connect them to the ESCs, but since the "steps" are too big would the gyros help? Thanks!

#2 fh64_lucky May 13, 2008 06:45 PM

Tell you what I think..... :rolleyes:
You done what few people have...you tried to make your own design,and did a dam good job too.That took time to build,and looked top notch to me.Who really cares if it did or did not work.People like me can fly anything,but build from scratch very little.Im sorry it didnt fly,but its more than I have ever built outa my head in flying RC for 26 years.My advice to you is keep trying,and yes,use gyros in it! ;)

#3 rimshotcopter Nov 23, 2009 06:38 PM

I will not say I failed 1000 times, I will say that I discovered 1000 ways that can cause failure. ~Thomas Alva Edison~

I believe you did well. You have all of the parts required, just try again. You know the story, a winner never quiets.

#4 lesnewell Feb 19, 2010 05:52 PM

Don't give up now. You're nearly there! I think you will find that three or four 401 gyros will really smooth it out and make it flyable. My only concern is the very thin arms. If the arms have too much flex the gyros will have trouble compensating.

I used 12mm carbon tube. That makes the arms very rigid and they have survived several fairly heavy crashes with no damage.

#5 flyeraroo Feb 19, 2010 08:15 PM

Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe he can achieve! ;)

#6 rimshotcopter Feb 19, 2010 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whirlydude (Post 14396676)

Amen.

#7 Admen Feb 18, 2011 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whirlydude (Post 14396676)

Tell that to a starving man in Africa. Conceive food! You can do it, Ndugu!

#8 _pokey Feb 18, 2011 01:25 PM

Tear it all down, smash it with a hammer and build three planes instead. At least you know they'll work before you start. It was a bad idea from the start, so give up on it.

There. Now that it's been said, does it sound right to you? I didn't think so. Let us know how the gyros work. :p

:popcorn:

#9 Breezemont Mar 06, 2011 11:20 AM

OP was May 13, 2008

#10 Ceros007 Mar 07, 2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breezemont (Post 17602167)
OP was May 13, 2008

I guess hey don't read that little warning before they post.