RC Groups

RC Groups
    Utah Flyers Organization
        Discussion Utah Aerial Photography and FPV

#1 Darth_Elevator May 12, 2008 02:00 PM

Utah Aerial Photography and FPV

3 Attachment(s)
Now that several of us have AP planes, I thought I'd start a thread for Utah flyers to post videos and photos of their local sorties, as well as swap notes on anything AP. I got this idea the other day after exchanging about 10 pms with Jonboylemon, just because we didn't want to hijack any of the other UFO threads.

Jon & Nate, I expect you'll be doing some sweet AP with your new Beasts, so I hope you'll be willing to share. Everybody else, whether you're into AP (yet) or not, feel free to comment and participate.

Let me get the ball rolling by posting a couple pics I took this morning on the way to work, a video of me hitting my neighbor's tree, and pic of a hawk I took Saturday.

Slow Stick hits a tree and keeps flying (0 min 49 sec)

#2 JONBOYLEMON May 12, 2008 11:59 PM

Tibble Fork Resevoir, American Fork Canyon, Utah (4 min 46 sec)

The start of a project I am going to do.

#3 natetanr May 13, 2008 07:29 AM

Nice Pics and Vids guys.

I need to get a smaller camera for my beast. My camera is over 15 oz. Works ok but I bet it would work better if I had something lighter. Love the crash Jon and the temple pics are great Darth.

#4 Darth_Elevator May 14, 2008 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natetanr
I need to get a smaller camera for my beast. My camera is over 15 oz. Works ok but I bet it would work better if I had something lighter.

You can probably pick up a decent 2 or 3 year old digital camera on eBay pretty cheap. I just got a Pentax Optio s5z for $65. 4.2 ounces! Do some research on the forums, though, because all cameras are not created equal, even among different models of the same brand. If I hadn't gotten the Optio s5z, I was considering the Nikon Coolpix 5900, which usually sells for a bit more but steves-digicams.com says it outperforms the s5z.

#5 jfinch May 14, 2008 02:10 PM

Are the cameras fixed mount or can they swivel via servos?

#6 Darth_Elevator May 14, 2008 03:30 PM

I'm using a fixed mount but I'm hoping to eventually build or buy a two-axis directional setup with servos. Then I'd love to try FPV (first person viewpoint) flying with a wireless camera.

#7 JONBOYLEMON May 14, 2008 05:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think I found a pic of the camera Nate is using. Looks sturdy but seems heavy.

#8 natetanr May 14, 2008 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth_Elevator
You can probably pick up a decent 2 or 3 year old digital camera on eBay pretty cheap. I just got a Pentax Optio s5z for $65. 4.2 ounces! Do some research on the forums, though, because all cameras are not created equal, even among different models of the same brand. If I hadn't gotten the Optio s5z, I was considering the Nikon Coolpix 5900, which usually sells for a bit more but steves-digicams.com says it outperforms the s5z.

Keep your eyes open and let me know if you see a similar camera for sale for around 50 to 70 bucks. I've been looking on ebay and ksl but no luck yet.

#9 natetanr May 14, 2008 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON
I think I founs a pic of the camera Nate is using. Looks sturdy but seems heavy.

Your funny........
Ist actually the sony dsc-s75
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscs75/page2.asp
its been a great camera but as soon as I decided to use it on my plane it apeared to take on the shape of a 15oz brick.

#10 natetanr May 15, 2008 11:48 AM

I just purchased a Nikon Coolpix 7600 off ebay it said it was not tested so i'm crossing my fingers. I may have just waisted 50 bux.... But hey at least this will only be a 5oz brick.

#11 Darth_Elevator May 15, 2008 01:49 PM

Looks like the 7600 has some great features, Nate.

#12 Darth_Elevator May 16, 2008 04:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My Optio arrived today and what a huge difference in picture quality over my piece of crap Aiptek. Movies and photos are much crisper and have better color. And, unlike the Aiptek, I'm not getting a bit of frame buffering distortion. The Optio is 4.65 ounces with battery and SD card. It's light enough I'm not using a voltage regulator to shave off a couple ounces of batteries, so I don't those extra wires hanging all over the place.

The Flysoft infrared switch works perfectly. I set it to take a still picture every 5 seconds, but in can be set to any interval up to 30 seconds and also lets me manually take a picture whenever I toggle a tx switch. A great no-hack shutter switch.

#13 Darth_Elevator May 16, 2008 07:06 PM

6 Attachment(s)
And here are some shots of the plane I forgot to attach to the last post.

#14 chicken hawk May 19, 2008 11:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Nice, I see someone else is doing the Temple thing. I shot these 2 yesteday. I'm trying to get all the Utah Temples this year.

#15 Darth_Elevator May 19, 2008 11:49 AM

Those are awesome shots, Chicken Hawk. What camera and plane are you using? Good luck on your goal to get all the Utah temples. I hope you'll keep us updated on your progress.