RC Groups

RC Groups
    Aerial Photography
        San Jose, CA Aerials

#1 dbx824 Jan 13, 2003 01:21 AM

San Jose, CA Aerials

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some photos shot from a slowstick with a timed 370 using dual QC830s in parallel, and of course the aiptek 1.3M Megacam. Camera control via Cam-man mod, many thanks to Mr. RC-Cam.

The pictures are slightly out of focus since I forgot to max out the focus ring before takeoff and it got really hazy. These were shot in the Hostetter and Flickinger area in San Jose, CA from a park about 3 blocks from work. Enjoy.

#2 dbx824 Jan 13, 2003 01:23 AM

slight bank...

1 Attachment(s)
while in lower level flight -

#3 dbx824 Jan 13, 2003 01:25 AM

Intersection of

1 Attachment(s)
Hostetter and Flickinger

#4 dbx824 Jan 13, 2003 01:26 AM

Overheads

1 Attachment(s)
trying to see who has a pool...

#5 dbx824 Jan 13, 2003 01:27 AM

more overheads

1 Attachment(s)
slightly nicer houses on this side

#6 dbx824 Jan 13, 2003 01:28 AM

Aerial of my workplace

1 Attachment(s)
got lucky with the framing of this one

#7 dbx824 Jan 13, 2003 01:29 AM

Last one...

1 Attachment(s)
I think this is my highest altitude photo so far ...

#8 dbx824 Jan 13, 2003 08:14 PM

How to set focus

What do you guys use to set the focus? I have a feeling that it can be improved upon but would probably require opening up the camera. Any suggestions?

#9 eBird Jan 13, 2003 09:55 PM

Re: How to set focus

Quote:

Originally posted by dbx824
What do you guys use to set the focus? I have a feeling that it can be improved upon but would probably require opening up the camera. Any suggestions?
I just use the focus ring on the lens. I know of no mod that could be performed inside the camera that would improve focus.

Each camera may be different, but after doing some bracketed photos, I found my best focus just a hair less than maximum.
Maximum clockwise focus tends to make my focus look a little pixelated.

You could also try hooking up the cam to a PC, switch to "live" mode, then aim out the window and play with the focus while looking at the screen...

#10 Ahawk Jan 14, 2003 07:20 AM

Hi dbx,

Check out this thread in regard to the focus questions, might help a bit. Your photos look pretty good though, good job. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=Aiptek+focus

-Adam

#11 dbx824 Jan 14, 2003 10:24 AM

Thanks for the responses

I'll try out those tips and recon the same area. I'll also be switching camera control from the gear channel to the throttle control to automatically take pictures when throttle momentarily is turned off. Should help minimize vibration.

It's raining on and off this week so aerial sortie #3 will have to wait.

BTW, I'm not all that sure about altitude estimate in the pics I just posted. Does anyone with more aerial experience care to estimate the altitude?

thanks,

Danny