RC Groups

RC Groups
    Scale Kit/Scratch Built
        Build Log 41" Piper Tomahawk

#1 N827TM Apr 11, 2008 12:58 PM

41" Piper Tomahawk

1 Attachment(s)
Over the last three years I have been looking for a 10e sized Piper Tomahawk kit and was unable to find one. So over a year ago a good friend showed me how to use a good 2D Cad program. I told him I was not going to use it learn, unless I do an airplane that I want. Well this Tomahawk was definitely it. Over the last year, I spent a great deal of time Cadding this Tomahawk.

As a young child I was always intrigued by this airplane. I loved the bubble canopy, the low wing and of course the T-Tail. This bird also had a bad reputation in the aviation world do to the Spin Characteristics. One Nickname it was given was the Traumahawk, and I am sure there are several others.

I worked out some deals with a couple of companies to make it possible for everyone to order laser cut parts, plans and plastic parts. Below are the links: If you need laser cut parts and plans, contact Laser Design Services.

http://store.laser-design-services.com/

If you need a plastic cowling contact Park Flyer Plastics

http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/

Anyway I am doing a build log on this bird, and we will see how it comes out. Here is a picture of the parts that have been laser cut.

Tom

#2 Bajora Apr 11, 2008 01:01 PM

Tuning in to go along for the ride on this one, especially hoping a kit or something may ultimately come out of it.

I did about 25 hours in a Tomahawk and soloed in it, so I'd love to build one too.

Thanks for taking the time to do this thread,

#3 N827TM Apr 11, 2008 02:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No problem, Barnesjonr.

Anyway a few things I would also like to mention before the build log. The laser parts were cut by Jim and Tina from JTech laser.

http://www.jtechlaser.com/

Qrome from BlueSkyRC taught me the Cad program.

http://blueskyrc.com/

Mike from BMK designs.

http://www.bmkdesigns.net/

All these people have helped me get going with this project.

The specs for this Tomahawk are:

Flt weight goal 26 to 28 ozs.

Motor: HXT 20-22L
ESC: TURNIGY Basic 25A v3.1 Speed Controller
4 Servos: HXT 9 gram servos
Battery for Use: LM Loong max 1300 3S1P 20C Lipo pack

Here is a picture of a real Piper Tomahawk

#4 Yak18 Apr 11, 2008 04:24 PM

I too flew the real Tomy back in the day...around 1980. Wow I can't believe it was that long ago. Anyway, I loved the airplane much more than the 152s I learned on. The cockpit was roomy and you sat up high. Well, atleast it felt higher. I thought it was much easier to get a good landing with it due to the wing floating in ground effect during the flare. I would love to build this one if short kits become available.

#5 GeoffinIN Apr 11, 2008 05:18 PM

Traumahawk

I logged time in two Tomahawks waaaay back in the late 1970s-early 1980s. Compared to the other Pipers I flew it seemed very flimsy, and it was downright scary just before a stall, shaking and bucking like nothing I've experienced in anything else. So, I can't understand how anyone could accidentally do a stall/spin in one. Still, it IS a cute little bugger, so I'm signed on!

#6 N827TM Apr 11, 2008 06:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I decided to first start building the Horizontal Stabilizer and the elevator. I used 3/16" balsa sticks. I choose this because I did not want the tail to be flimsy. Here are some pictures.

I will eventually offer a short kit, for those that want one. I will need to work out some details for pakaging and selling it as a short kit.

Tom

#7 eliworm Apr 11, 2008 10:44 PM

Tom,
Looking good. Do you have any connection with the real Tomahawk you have in the photo or is that just the color scheme you have chosen?

Jim

#8 baldguy Apr 11, 2008 10:57 PM

Heh Geofinpdx, want to feel a plane buck and jump- try doing knife edge in a C-152, not the aerobat version. NOW that was just plane scary, and stupid!

#9 N827TM Apr 12, 2008 02:19 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Jim, it is just a paint scheme for a Tomahawk II. I really like the Tomahawk II. The Tomahawk I taught in was Grey, Maroon and White. I will see if I can find any pictures of it.

Here are some more building pictures of the vertical stab and Rudder. I built the rudder first then the vertical stab. The tail went together very quick. The vertical stab is sandwich together with 1/16" balsa on the outside and 1/8" balsa in the center. When I designed the Tail I made it with a canyon for the elevator cable. Before all three pieces of wood were sandwich together I glued the elevator cable housing in the vertical stab.

Tom

#10 N827TM Apr 12, 2008 02:30 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures of the Tomahawk I gave instruction in.

Tom

#11 Dora Nine Apr 12, 2008 06:59 AM

Be sure to check: www.airliners.net they have plenty of pics.

<---Also has time in Tomahawks:D

#12 Thomas B Apr 12, 2008 05:30 PM

Many years back Gulliows had one that was actually designed for R/C and .10 power. I built one and flew it for a season back in the 1980s with a glow OS .10. It was a nice little flyer!

I have a couple of hours in a real one as well...I much prefered the Cessna 150/152, personally.

A couple of years back someone had a rare Guillows Tomahawk for sale here on R/C groups:

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587840

#13 pda4you Apr 12, 2008 05:44 PM

Signing on - great project!

It has always been a favorite plane (for looks) but I too preferred flying the 150/152 (full scale that is....) but only had one flight in the Tomahawk so not very much comparison.

Mike

#14 Bajora Apr 12, 2008 05:51 PM

Its all I ever knew Mike, unless you count some stick time in my buddys 180 flying to the Bahamas and Key West.

I'm hoping I can get a short kit of this one for sure.

#15 pda4you Apr 12, 2008 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BARNESJONR
Its all I ever knew Mike, unless you count some stick time in my buddys 180 flying to the Bahamas and Key West.

I'm hoping I can get a short kit of this one for sure.

To be honest I have very few hours on anything so.......................

But agree a short kit would be great!