26 Attachment(s)
X-Gear assembly Part 1

#2 jkarpy Feb 06, 2008 09:33 PM

X-Gear Build Part 2

27 Attachment(s)
Final assembly

#3 jkarpy Feb 07, 2008 10:44 PM

X-Gear Mounting option B strut.

X-Gear Mounting option B strut. (Work in Progress)

#4 jkarpy Feb 07, 2008 10:48 PM

X-Gear for AP (Work in progress)

X-Gear for AP (Work in progress)

#5 Diggs Mar 04, 2008 06:37 PM

Thanks for this thread James. I just finished up my first set of the new gear following this. Pretty simple build. Although I didn't sand nor trim the excess. I couldn't find any to trim off :) It is very solid, good improvement over the previous X-Gear!

Diggs

#6 jkarpy Mar 04, 2008 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diggs
Thanks for this thread James. I just finished up my first set of the new gear following this. Pretty simple build. Although I didn't sand nor trim the excess. I couldn't find any to trim off :) It is very solid, good improvement over the previous X-Gear!

Diggs

Thanks Diggs, it brings you back to the old plastic model dayís doesnít it?

P.S.: Just donít stick a firecracker in it! :D

#7 Diggs Mar 04, 2008 11:26 PM

LOL, Yeah it did. And I got glue all over the place, just like the old days :)

Diggs

#8 mbragdon Mar 05, 2008 08:39 PM

Very helpful thread, the glue is drying now.

#9 seanpcola Mar 22, 2008 09:03 PM

I saw these at the Perry swap meet, came home and ordered a set for my Eratix. Did a little beef-up on it and think it is going to work fine. I know it was made for a smaller, lighter model but pretty sure I won't have any problems. IF it does not take the weight then I suggest we bombard Millenium with emails till they make us a bigger size too! :D

#10 jkarpy Mar 22, 2008 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanpcola
I saw these at the Perry swap meet, came home and ordered a set for my Eratix. Did a little beef-up on it and think it is going to work fine. I know it was made for a smaller, lighter model but pretty sure I won't have any problems. IF it does not take the weight then I suggest we bombard Millenium with emails till they make us a bigger size too! :D

We are considering smaller and larger sizes.

James

#11 seanpcola Mar 22, 2008 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkarpy
We are considering smaller and larger sizes.

James

Works for me! :D

Actually, after looking it over I was wondering about maybe even a version for quite a bit larger models. The problem I am seeing on rougher fieds is that most gear does not allow much "cushion". I wanted to experiment with your gear to see how much it flexed. I was even think things like making the fittings out of aluminum, of course much larger and longer rods and so forth. You may have really started something here.

I know it may be pushing it using the X gear on the Eratix but after comparing it more and more to the stock gear I seriously think it should work.

Plus, you can't beat the "bling" factor either! ;)

#12 ok_flyer May 28, 2008 12:32 AM

The X-Gear is a sweet upgrade. Nothing like getting rid of those flimsy, music wire rods that come stock from GWS. The foam wheels are just the right size and look great!

I would like to see a tail dragger mod similar to the X-Gear. I was trying to come up with one myself and decided to use the spare parts from my X-Gear kit to make one. Here's a link to the thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865847

#13 _Lunchbox_ May 29, 2008 10:11 PM

I finally got the floats finished for my SSX. Just got them mounted tonight. I hope to do a dry run with them tomorrow after work, then down the road to the pond to try them out. Anything I should know before starting?

Wish me luck :)

#14 jkarpy May 30, 2008 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jstone
I finally got the floats finished for my SSX. Just got them mounted tonight. I hope to do a dry run with them tomorrow after work, then down the road to the pond to try them out. Anything I should know before starting?

Wish me luck :)

Make sure the front half of the floats are in front of the CG.

#15 _Lunchbox_ May 30, 2008 05:20 AM

I did that. the CG is right about 1 1/2 inches in front of the "step" in the float

Also, How did I post this in the x-gear thread? I meant to put it in the ssx thread :rolleyes: :o :D