RC Groups

RC Groups
    Steam Boats
        Discussion Steam plant for Brooklyn Tug

#1 peconic steam Dec 27, 2007 08:40 PM

Steam plant for Brooklyn Tug

:D Has anyone else out there installed a GAGE tvr1a steam engine / Cheddar Puffin boiler in a Dumas Brooklyn tug? I've had many satisfying hours with the one I built.

#2 Brooks Dec 28, 2007 01:57 PM

Photos of your installation and your tug steaming around, please :-)

#3 tim slocum Dec 29, 2007 12:50 AM

I definetly second what Brooks said!

#4 capntroy Dec 29, 2007 03:04 AM

3 Attachment(s)
We installed a Cheddar Puffin De-Luxe in one of the first Brooklyns to make it out of Dumas quite a few years ago.
Although I was more into high-torque electric tugs at the time, that Brooklyn was a real pleasure to tool around with.
I found myself running around alot with the superstructure removed just so I could watch & listen to the steam engine better.

#5 peconic steam Jan 01, 2008 09:27 PM

capntroy, very clean installation- I like the red superstructure. I'll get a few photos soon. There is a short video of mine on you tube under "rapidnadion."

#6 Brooks Jan 02, 2008 10:52 AM

Nice tugboat video, also liked your Titanic video :-)

#7 everglades Feb 24, 2008 10:11 PM

Guys.

I have a TVR1A that I would like to install in a Dumas Brooklyn, just like some of you did. What boiler do you recommend that will be a good fit? I dont have a machine shop so an un-machined kit wont do.

Peconic_Steam. That is an amazing video of the Brooklyn. It really sealed my desire to build this combo.

Thanks in advance.

Fernando

#8 -kno3- Dec 27, 2009 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peconic steam (Post 8839053)
capntroy, very clean installation- I like the red superstructure. I'll get a few photos soon. There is a short video of mine on you tube under "rapidnadion."

It's the year 2009 and still no photos of your tug's steam plant, peconic :)

#9 peconic steam Dec 27, 2009 08:11 AM

-kno3-, actually there are a few pics posted on everglades' "live steam powered Brooklyn tug" discussion post on page 2. He was kind enough to put the pictures up, as I didn't know how to at the time...

#10 -kno3- Dec 27, 2009 05:25 PM

Now if you'd also tell me how to find that topic, or just add some pics here, as it would be nice to have a complete topic... :)

#11 peconic steam Dec 28, 2009 11:44 PM

-kno3-, I will take some new pictures and post them within the week; thank you for your interest.

#12 peconic steam Jan 05, 2010 09:39 PM

Brooklyn Tug internals

5 Attachment(s)
-kno3-, here are some photos of the steam plant-

#13 Brooks Jan 06, 2010 12:20 AM

Very nice, thanks for posting the photos. From the baked-on oil on the engine, I suspect your ship gets a lot of sailing. Nice use of gears to get more turn of the throttle valve. What are the red-wired items hung from the valveboxes at either end of the engine?

#14 peconic steam Jan 06, 2010 07:58 AM

Brooks, the red wires are the hot leads to the 2 6V engine room lights. The (-) side is just where the sockets bolt on to the engine. There's another one at the fwd. end of the boiler to light up the sight glass.

#15 -kno3- Jan 07, 2010 07:09 AM

Thanks for the pictures! I'm not quite sure I understand why you attached the electrical wires to the engine itself?!?