RC Groups

RC Groups
    Foamies (Scratchbuilt)
        Discussion Aero Feather, Aero Feather II...

#1 Rusty-Gunn Oct 30, 2007 01:34 AM

Aero Feather, Aero Feather II...

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of the projects my nephew Nic and I are doing. His is the AF, built as a 3-d type, and mine is the biplane version, AF II. These are still in the design/building stage. Plans are planned for the near future. please wait, if you might be interested.
Aero Feather is the English translation of our Inupiaq Eskimo names. We're both named after my grandfather (his great-grandfather) "Suluuq". Actually, its arrow feather (fletchings), but I used aero because we're building planes.

#2 kf2qd Oct 30, 2007 07:24 AM

Nice -

Nice looking birds. Really like the paint jobs.

#3 FirstShirt Oct 30, 2007 07:37 AM

Rusty, You're planes are always real beauties. Now we know you were named to fly! Pat

#4 Rusty-Gunn Oct 30, 2007 11:28 AM

Thanks guys. Not just named to fly, but I come from three generations of actual pilots. I too took flying lessons back in '88, but I got airsick everyday. Always did. Discouraging, but Dad was proud, knowing I always got airsick, yet tried to learn anyway. Soloed, but gave up afterwards. Nic's dad, my brother Archie, is a pilot. My grandfather Archie was an Alaskan pilot pioneer in the old days.

#5 Rusty-Gunn Mar 22, 2008 11:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Up date... Nic and I went and flew the Aero Feather II (biplane) last week, and it flew ell, yet Nic said it 'felt' a bit squirrelly. To help with this I added a few inches to the fuselage, and built another prototype. Plans are still pending. Here are a few pics of the new version of the AFII. No pics for the original in flight, as the camera didn't produce good pics (my bad).
BTW this version is made of FFF PB material. Original was 'C' Foam.
Plane is ready for it's maiden flight as soon as the weather decides it wants this plane buring holes in it! :D

#6 Jasta_66 Mar 23, 2008 07:24 AM

Very nice lines on this plane, Rusty...I mean Arrow-Feather! :p And a great paint job!
My father's parents are Injuns, and our surname is Arrow-...Thats how I got the name of my little foamie company...Arrowplanes.com :p ....a play on "aero" as well.

Jasta

#7 Rusty-Gunn Mar 23, 2008 08:39 AM

Thanks Jasta.

#8 Hughbert Mar 23, 2008 08:44 AM

Looking good! Really like the paint jobs. Can't wait for a maiden report!

Hugh

#9 magic612 Mar 23, 2008 08:52 AM

Rusty, you always have some of the most beautifully decorated planes - nice job! And I'm of the same opinion that the fuselage needed some additional length; looking at the original ones, they seemed to have a very short moment arm, which likely made them a bit "pitchy", eh?

#10 Wingnut31 Mar 23, 2008 09:18 AM

Nice touch, now get out there and make it fly.

#11 Rusty-Gunn Mar 24, 2008 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magic612
Rusty, you always have some of the most beautifully decorated planes - nice job! And I'm of the same opinion that the fuselage needed some additional length; looking at the original ones, they seemed to have a very short moment arm, which likely made them a bit "pitchy", eh?

Yes, I do believe it made them pitchy, "squirrelly" we call it up here "all over the dang place, with no where to go". I imagine this can be cancelled out to some degree using a programmable radio, but an improvement on design helps out a lot. Still too windy, as soon as the weather slows down a bit we'll head ut to fly the planes again. Until then, I'm staring up on the re-design of my old Bandit, now called the Backyard Bandit (fuselage is also longer). I'm going back to re-do some of my earlier failures, giving them new life.

#12 Rusty-Gunn Mar 24, 2008 05:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pics of the new version of the AFII. We flew it a while ago, and after a bit of trimming in-flight, she flew well. I haven't flown in about 5 months, and needed a few minutes to "get the flavor back". She flew simple circuits for about 7 minutes, and then made a nice belly landing. Also, this plane is a bit over 10 ounces, and flies 'heavy', no extra power to do much with, but fly she did.

#13 Dakrat Mar 26, 2008 03:56 AM

Rusty,
Great looking plane, glad you can finally get out and fly a little, it is a little "spring" like here but I can't fly because I'm waiting on my new radio! :mad: Sucks too, we have had some really nice days with no wind. Ugh, maybe this week it will come in, anyway glad to see your are putting your Blucor to use!
Dak...

#14 Rusty-Gunn Mar 26, 2008 09:20 AM

Dak... Yup, we finally got a chance to fly some. Several flights only, but thats all we had time and weather for. Windy again. Time to build another plane...

#15 Dakrat Mar 26, 2008 03:56 PM

Since your on the coast, have you though of making some type of "sloper" glider? Should fill in those windy days....
Dak