RC Groups

RC Groups
    Scale Kit/Scratch Built
        Discussion Dornier DO-23 -- Don Srull's beauty

#1 Pat Daily Oct 13, 2007 07:34 PM

Dornier DO-23 -- Don Srull's beauty

22 Attachment(s)
This morning Don brought out his DO-23 for some great flying at Shangri La south. His DO-23 is an 83 inch span and was built from his own plans in 1976 with gas power and he campaigned it at meets up and down the east coast. A few years ago he converted it to electric (twin AXIs--don't know the size) power and has been happily flying it for a few years.

Here are some photos that I think Dornier fans might enjoy.

Pat Daily

#2 Pat Lynch Oct 13, 2007 08:01 PM

Thanks Pat. Great to see another Do23 in the air!

I flew mine this morning several times and I'd recommend a great first twin - slow, lumbering, stable and looks great in the air.
Don's model makes me want to do something bigger than my 60".

For those who think heaps of power is needed for these models, my 23 has two cheap bell outrunners and draws less than 10A while cruising around - and takes off very realistically like a bomber - not a 3D machine ;)

Thanks for the photos Pat.

Pat L (Dornier enthusiast)

#3 Twmaster Oct 13, 2007 08:27 PM

That is amazing. Thanks for the photos Pat.

--
Mike N
Waving 'hi' from Maxecuter Land!

#4 E-Challenged Oct 13, 2007 08:31 PM

Incidentally, ...

Why did the Dornier have so much positive wing incidence?

#5 Pat Daily Oct 13, 2007 08:44 PM

Don't know why so much positive incidence--but it seems to make the it fly nose down with that big thick airfoil. Don and I were talking about that today and we wondered the same thing.

Pat

#6 Milhafre Oct 14, 2007 03:13 AM

Perhaps to get the required angle of attack for take off without an excessively long undercarriage?
The Armstrong Whitworth Whitley had a similar high angle of incidence and flew nose-down.

Roly

#7 SKY KING Oct 14, 2007 06:57 AM

Pat,

Beautiful aircraft and I'm glad E-Challenged brought up the wing incidence.

To better understand and apply towards our own creations, could you or Don give us some idea what the airfoil and angles are??

I'm especially interested with the tailplane incidence in relation to the wing, as I prefer my elevator to be on the same line as the horizontal stab. I had quite a time trying to achieve that neutrality with one of my own-designed planes that required nearly five degrees of positive wing incidence to look "right".

-Alby

#8 Pat Daily Oct 14, 2007 10:03 AM

Roly

Great suggestion.

Alby

I will ask Don about the airfoil (it is a thick one that tapers towards the tips_ and the incidence with is probably a bit positive.

#9 Do 335 Oct 14, 2007 02:12 PM

Here are some pictures of the original:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=812554

http://www.torweihe.de/do23.jpg

I think the model looks pretty close to the original plane in the air...

Nice to see Don Srull and his beautiful plane. I love his free flight plans! Thank you.

Martin

#10 farnboro flyer Oct 15, 2007 07:07 AM

Thanks for bringing us those great pics Pat...............

Lovely model, looking great.

Ian

#11 E-Challenged Oct 15, 2007 12:09 PM

I notice from the photos that the stab also has a lot of positive incidence. Kinda reminds me of a Bleriot's setup. I wonder whether there were any special takeoff , landing and stall characteristics.

#12 oldcoot88 Oct 15, 2007 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E-Challenged
I notice from the photos that the stab also has a lot of positive incidence. Kinda reminds me of a Bleriot's setup.

The tailplane still looks to have 'negative' incidence relative to the main wing, which would make it a conventional (non-lifting) tail. Whereas the Bleriot had a lifting tail.

The main wing's high positive incidence is like the B-52's, which is related to the tandem LG trucks preventing rotation for takeoff. But the Dornier, being a taildragger, wouldn't have that issue. There ust be another rationale for the high wing incidence. :confused:

oc88(Bill)