RC Groups

RC Groups
    R/C Blogs
        Discussion A Hornet that became a Phoenix

#1 SPasierb Aug 02, 2007 08:29 PM

A Hornet that became a Phoenix

11 Attachment(s)
More photos than words here. I'm happy to report that my beloved Hornet from www.warbirdkits.com is back among the living. If I had to choose one favorite plane, this would probably be it. It's just spectacular in the air and a joy to fly. Through its many years, the original 3S 2200 Polyquest li-ion (first generation -- red wrap) had been trusty and dependable. On this day it reached its limit. In the back of my mind I knew the battery should be replaced -- too bad I failed to act.

Following a great flight and perfect landing, I noticed some slight whiffs of smoke where the fuse meets the wing. I picked it up and headed to the pits at a fast pace hoping is was a speed-control issue, but fearing it was the battery. Half way there all :censored: broke loose with a sound like a bottle rocket taking off -- and -- let's just say I haven't run that fast in years. The battery erupted. We threw caution to the wind, took off the wing and yanked out the burning LiPo pieces with a big hemostat (the wind was blowing quite hard, so nobody took any smoke). Thanks to the crew at New Canaan R/C club for helping -- especially Bob Morrow.

The following photos show the crispy aftermath as well as highlights from the rebuild. I'm happy to report that the Hornet flew again this past Sunday 7/29.

With fresh firmware and refined settings in the CC25 controllers and a brand new Polyquest 2500 20C pack, it came to life like never before. Power is a pair of Mega 5-turn inrunners with 7x5 APC e-props.

This hobby can bring an amazing blend of deep lows and great highs. My beloved Hornet has provided both...

#2 kakao Aug 08, 2007 03:36 AM

Huh

You are lucky that the batery did not blow in some way - that could make some serious injury's

#3 SPasierb Aug 08, 2007 10:16 AM

Essentially it did -- the middle cell burst and all of the fan-folded copper plates expanded out. That was the "bottle rocket" sound. Nasty stuff. One experience I don't want to go through again.