RC Groups

RC Groups
    Parkflyers
        Motor Suggestion for Globe Swift?

#1 RCFlybry Nov 12, 2002 12:04 PM

Motor Suggestion for Globe Swift?

Hi all,
I am starting on a Globe Swift from a modified and rescaled set of Earl Stahl plans.
Wingspan is 35 1/2" Target weight is 12 ounces. 180 Sq" of wing area. I had a GWS 300C motor in mind swinging a 10x8 prop.
Sound like it would work to you?
For those of you not familiar with the Swift. Here's what she looks like. A definite classic!!

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/thewic...ures/78168.jpg

#2 Martin Hunter Nov 12, 2002 12:21 PM

That should be a perfect motor for that size and weight. Are you planning on retracts as well?

Martin

#3 RCFlybry Nov 12, 2002 12:25 PM

Are you planning on retracts as well?

Hi Martin,
I keep turning that over in my head and am leaning towards doing it. I just hope that I would still be able to stay within my target weight if I decide on retracts.

Bryan

#4 Martin Hunter Nov 12, 2002 12:39 PM

I guess it all depends on how complex you want to get. My hurricane has a 34" wingspan, about 180 sq in wing area, powered by a 370, and sits precisely at 15oz. However, that includes retracts and split flaps. Also that's with a standard sized rx (caseless, of course). Working from Earl Stahl plans is an excellent start as his planes are designed strong and light, it seems.

I've had a thought... the swift sits pretty low to the ground, doesn't it? You might want a smaller prop and lower gearing on the 300.

Martin

#5 RCFlybry Nov 12, 2002 01:16 PM

I just checked it in the Cad Program and the way I have it set up the wheels should give enough clearance for a 10" prop and still be able to fit in the wing without anything conflicting with it.

Bryan