RC Groups

RC Groups
    The Builders Workshop
        Question Scale designing in solidworks DH110 sea vixen

#1 twchdyn Jun 17, 2007 07:14 PM

Scale designing in solidworks DH110 sea vixen

Where should i start??? :confused:

Planning on building a dh110 sea vixen for twin 90mm edf. i have some 3 views and plenty of photographs. I have done a few designs with solidworks to be cnc cut but all have been non scale so an accurate outline wasnt required.

Do i trace the 3 view, do i trace separate parts from the 3 view?

Really need some pointers here please. any help is greatly appriciated.

Thanks guys

#2 rosco Jun 17, 2007 11:47 PM

I would set your 3 views up on the front, top and side (I can do this on Rhino3D...it adds you pictures onto the planes, so you can project lines off them)
Make all of the pics on the planes line up and be in the same scale.
Then get a centre line for the fuse and the main wing...make up as many guide lines as you can(these will not be used in the final, just for guides)Also make up from those guide lines a whole bunch of circles down the fuse.
From there, there are a number of ways you can go.

You could 'loft' the circles, to get a 'skin' of the plane.
You could then make some 3MM plates(in the case of using 3mm balsa for the formers) make them way bigger than they need to be. Copy and put them at the intervals you want the formers to be at and use the 'skin of the plane to 'cut ' or 'split' the plates. A bit like cookie cutters cutting the dough.
Vwalla! formers...

Its a start anyway.
cheers
rosco

#3 pinolefm1 Jun 20, 2007 02:39 PM

this might help ?? http://cmil.west.cmu.edu/cs/blogs/co...05/13/416.aspx

I'm certainly no expert (still struggling with lofting a .dat wing file :rolleyes: ) but I've been looking into airframe design in solidworks myself recently and I think what was said before about image planes applies to solidworks as well....."insert" an image on a new plane in sketch mode...
google "airplane solidworks" and you'll find some discussions on how to loft or bridge airplane parts and pieces like the example above
also the included tutorials are realy pretty good ;)

hth

steve

#4 twchdyn Jun 21, 2007 08:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
why do my lofts end up all wobbly, ive tried using guide curves along the top and bottom of the profiles. help me before i tear out all my hair!!!!!!!

#5 irish_lord99 Jun 23, 2007 05:13 AM

I'm not really trained in solidworks, but I have been using it for a while and the only thing I have to say about lofts is this:
When selecting each of the profiles for the loft, it helps to click on the same point (or as close as possible) on each profile. For instance, if you want to connect a set of four squares, then clicking on the lower left hand corner of each square will give you a square shaped loft, but if you click on alternate corners you'll get a mess.

Hope that helps.

#6 twchdyn Jun 23, 2007 09:48 AM

yea i know what u mean about that. ive tried using several guide curves also. still comes out wonky. I will persevere!!

#7 rosco Jun 27, 2007 01:39 AM

Sorry dood, can't help you there.
cheers
rosco

#8 mikeperik Jun 27, 2007 12:53 PM

I don't use SolidWorks but I use Alibre Xpress and I think the issue is the same. On each former sketch you need to try to get the nodes or control points on the former's sketch to be in approximately the same position. So go to each former and add control nodes at positions like 0, 45, 90, 135, etc degrees then the lofting will use those control nodes for the loft and hopefully you won't have a distorted fuse. Or something like that, I'm by far no expert, I'm learning as well.