RC Groups

RC Groups
    Parkflyers
        Break From Building

#1 sr71fan Oct 25, 2002 12:29 AM

Break From Building

1 Attachment(s)
I decided to take a break from my usual kit-bashing and scratch-building, and try somethinmg easy. HA!

This is an "AirSurfer" I picked up at Wal-mart for 50 bucks. It took me about an hour from box to charged and ready-to-fly. It only took about three seconds to crash!

Well, after about three hours of test glides and wingtip bending and taping to trim it out, I was finally able to enjoy some good flights with it. The flight times ranged from the initial 3 seconds to 7.5 minutes before it got too dark and I had to quit.

I found out why it took so long for me to get the hang of it. It says right on the darned box, that it's for 8 year-olds. No WONDER I couldn't fly the dang thing. :D

Wingspan 30.5 inches
Length 20.0
AUW 9.0 ounces
Controls throttle (all-or-nothing)
differential thrust (inboard motor shuts off for turns)
Motors pretty strong sized between the GWS and a 280
Battery six-cell NiMH (after 4 cycles, the batteries are taking
about 400 mAH charges)

So far, the airplane has proven itself to be indestructible. Believe me, I tried. :D

Gary My photos.

#2 echoplanar Oct 25, 2002 01:03 AM

I always wondered what a Tigermoth would look like after 5 minutes in the microwave:rolleyes: .

-Jon

#3 Martin Hunter Oct 25, 2002 09:26 AM

That looks like some kind of alternate-reality 1930s creation or something. I had not seen that before now! Is that how it looks out of the box? It's very unique!

Martin

#4 robs Oct 25, 2002 09:29 AM

I might just have to get one for my girlfriends son. When he gets bored with it, maybe I could ...

What kind of trimming did you have to do? Just twisting the wings?

#5 U2Steve Oct 25, 2002 09:48 AM

Ok...Who's gonna be first to stick a brushless in one?:D

#6 Hammer Head Oct 25, 2002 11:03 AM

Yikes...but kinda cool...cheap to

echoplanar
"I always wondered what a Tigermoth would like like after 5 minutes in the microwave . "

lol

HH:)

#7 sr71fan Oct 25, 2002 02:48 PM

Trimming

1 Attachment(s)
The only trimming I did was to bend the wingtips. All four were way out of whack. The last half of the flights are best, because the power comes down a little to more closely match the glide trim. I took this photo to illistrate the rather STRANGE looking side view. This is the left side, moving to the viewer's left.

Gary

#8 DNA Oct 25, 2002 04:59 PM

Top right pic looks like a flying rhinocerous.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=67339

#9 sr71fan Oct 26, 2002 04:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Martin,

Yes, that's what it looks like straight out of the box. There's also another which is mostly blue.

DNA,

Thanks for the link. I can't believe I had missed it.:confused:

Gary

Here's a larger picture...

#10 larsy87 Oct 26, 2002 07:14 PM

Wha?

That plane looks like some sort of gun from power rangers. I didnt know they hads another RC plane out, i thought it was just the intruder. Oh well. Im paying too much attention to you guys with your moths and switchbacks.

#11 Paul Penney Oct 26, 2002 09:12 PM

Mongoose-

HAHA! So true

Paul ;)